This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Pure Barre is a ballet-inspired group exercise class focused on small, isometric moves that work your entire body. The class features great music and instructors who are happy to make sure you get the most out of your workouts by ensuring you have the correct form and encouraging you not to give up. While there are both pros and cons to Pure Barre and any other fitness class, here are my thoughts on the LTB (lift, tone, burn) life.

The Good

1.     I left my first Pure Barre class almost in tears and already sore. Even though I went through 55 minutes of isometric torture, I was completely happy. The energy in the class was awesome and it was great to be surrounded by strong women all struggling together towards the same goal.

2.     After only a few classes, I could tell that I was getting stronger. The 90-second plank at the beginning of class became less daunting, and the idea of pulsing in a plié squat for two minutes no longer terrified me.

3.     Running became easier. Even though Pure Barre doesn’t focus on cardio, I found that my stronger muscles helped me run better and longer.

4.     You’d be surprised at how relaxing focusing on positioning yourself just right and performing tiny one-inch movements can be. Spending class channeling all my focus on perfecting my form instead of stressing over my to-do list helped a lot of my anxiety fade away. I leave classes feeling ready to take on any challenges that the rest of my day may bring.

5.     Knowing you have an appointment to attend with a spot reserved for you holds you accountable and dissuades skipping, which is a problem I always had at Reily. To me, there’s nothing worse than schlepping yourself all the way to Reily only to find out there are no open treadmills or that you should have arrived 5 minutes earlier to a class. You reserve your Pure Barre spot ahead of time, ensuring that this won’t happen and your workout will go as scheduled.

The Not as Good

1.     It’s expensive. I’m not going to lie, Pure Barre isn’t cheap. However, there are package specials for students to make it a little more affordable.

2.     You have to have a way to get there. There are two Pure Barre locations in NOLA, one on Metairie Road and one on Magazine Street. While having a car is ideal, the Magazine Street location is pretty easy to get to if you use the streetcar.

3.     It’s time consuming. The class itself is 55 minutes, not including getting to and from the studio and arriving a few minutes early to get our equipment and find a spot at the barre.

The world of boutique fitness is ever expanding. Pure Barre is not for everyone, but I say giving it a try is always worth the experience. In the past, Pure Barre NOLA has featured $5 Fridays (new clients can take a class on Friday for only $5) and throughout January 2016, all first classes were free. Their specials are always posted on Facebook and Instagram, so be on the lookout for deals if you’re interested in trying a class. If you do, don your favorite pair of leggings, grab some sticky socks, and have a great first time getting your shake on!

Her Campus Tulane