This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With an endless daily to-do list, I sometimes find it hard to find peace every day — to just take a moment to breathe, relax, and feel gratitude. Therefore, I have devised the following methods to do just that.

Using Scents

I have recently discovered the power that scents have to make me feel calm.

I specifically like the fresh and sweet smell of the small, unlit candle on my desk. It was gifted to me on my birthday, so it has a double special meaning.

You can find great-smelling candles at Winners, Homesense, Marshalls, Bath and Body Works, and many pop-up shops and boutiques. Whenever I’m feeling overwhelmed or need to take a second to breathe, I pick up the candle and simply inhale its scent. I find that this calms me down and gives me some more energy and motivation to get back to my task at hand.

Another way I like to incorporate scents into my everyday life is through perfumes. I like to apply my favourite perfume in the morning and sometimes before bed. You can also use scented body wash and hand cream to amplify this effect. All in all, when I smell good, I feel good.

feeling cozy

At home, getting into really comfortable clothes and taking a moment to intentionally appreciate how blessed I am brings me peace. Taking an additional step of doing a calming activity, like reading with a soft blanket, is an added bonus. Focusing on how soft my clothing is or the warmth and comfort I feel in the moment can ease some of the stress I feel during busy times. 

You can also watch your favourite comfort show or movie, listen to some soft jazz music or even do a fun activity, like baking cookies. Especially as the weather gets colder, cozying up in warm clothes brings me peace.

having Warm Drinks

At any point in my day, often in the morning or afternoon, having a warm drink while being mindful of how grateful I am for a moment of stillness is very helpful. I find it calming and grounding.

It gives me a break and allows me to recharge, giving me the energy I need to continue checking items off of my to-do list.

I really enjoy drinking chai, which I make using orange pekoe tea, cream, and sweetener. Matcha can be a bit harder to make, but it’s also a favourite of mine. I sometimes have green tea and don’t mind the occasional hot chocolate in the winter.

engaging in Hobbies

I think it’s important to have a no-pressure hobby. This is something that you do to relax and enjoy yourself without the pressure of monetizing or being good at it.

I like to crochet, but painting or puzzles are great options as well. It’s up to whatever your heart desires!

I find having a hobby peaceful because it is something I do for myself, simply for the sake of enjoyment. It’s not an obligation, and there are no expectations, which makes it very freeing.

Working out

Completing a workout just for the sake of moving your body, getting some energy out, and even having some fun is another way to find peace in the everyday. Sometimes, it’s nice to simply enjoy the moment and appreciate what your body can do rather than focusing on how you look, your metrics, or how you need to be constantly upping your fitness game. This can be by going to the gym or dancing to some music to get your heart pumping and your body moving.

At the gym, I like doing cardio on the treadmill and using the weight machines for strength training. You can use your campus gym or local affordable options like Planet Fitness and Fit4Less. If you’re interested in fancier spots for workout classes in Toronto, consider elleTO or Sweat and Tonic.

You can always do workouts at home as well, ranging from HIIT to pilates to skipping. A yoga mat, skipping rope and a couple of weights goes a long way. There are tons of video tutorials on YouTube. Going for an outdoor walk or bike ride can also do the trick.

doing self-care

Doing things like painting my nails or applying a hair or face mask are small things that make me feel luxurious and taken care of. I find that completing these activities calms me down, both physically and mentally. Having my nails done sometimes gives me a boost of confidence, and I love the feeling of doing something to improve the health of my skin and hair.

Incorporating these practices into my life has given me small doses of peace throughout the day. I know how busy student life can get, so I think it’s really important to take some time to take care of yourself, no matter how small, out of your day.

Sakina Chaudary

Toronto MU '24

Fourth year journalism student based in Toronto.