This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

I’ve never been a particularly active person. My hand-eye coordination is trash, and I would rather cut off my leg than step foot in a gym.

I thought I would never find any workout that I enjoyed. But almost a year ago, I went to a yoga class with my Her Campus at Texas girlies and fell in love.

I was always intimidated by yogis. I had this image of a perfectly fit person in a matching set not even breaking a sweat. I thought I needed to already be super strong and fit in order to do the moves. I thought yoga was about doing the move perfectly and looking perfect while doing it.

But yoga is so far from that. Yoga, at least the kind I’ve been doing at Black Swan in Austin, is about the connection between you and your body, breath, mind, and the Earth. It’s about being fully present and moving in ways that feel good to you.

Not only does yoga help with flexibility, posture, and overall health, it can relieve stress and improve your mental state, according to John Hopkins Medicine.

I walk out of each class with shaky legs and arms but feeling strong, peaceful and rejuvenated. Yoga has reconnected me with my body and given me a confidence that I had been lacking.

If you’re in Austin, I highly recommend checking out Black Swan Yoga. They have all-level classes, so one side of you will be a man doing a crazy handstand and the other side will have a newbie like you losing balance.

Despite what many believe, yoga is an environment where everyone is welcome and appreciated. Come as you are, and leave feeling like a brand new person.

A senior journalism major at the University of Texas at Austin.