This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Stepping into the gym as a woman can be a powerful and empowering experience. It’s a space where I can challenge myself physically, prioritize my health, and cultivate a sense of strength and resilience. However, it’s also a space that comes with its own set of challenges and obstacles, from navigating male-dominated areas to confronting stereotypes. Despite these challenges, women like me are reclaiming the gym as a space of empowerment, self-discovery, and community. 

One of the most common challenges that I face in the gym is the pervasive culture of male dominance. The weightlifting areas and the intimidating atmosphere makes me feel out of place or unwelcome. This leads to feelings of self-consciousness or even hesitation to use certain equipment; making me wonder whether I’ll be judged or stared at because I am a woman. The stereotypes surrounding women’s bodies also impacts my experience in the gym. The pressure to conform to the beauty standards deters me from fully embracing my strength and capabilities. As a beginner, I am struggling with challenging myself because of the possible “manly” body type that I could develop. Despite these challenges, I am breaking barriers and creating a space in the gym. 

Women are taking up space in the gym through the rise of women-focused fitness communities and workout plans. Social media is playing a big role in this. Seeing women of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds creating fitness media is crucial for breaking down stereotypes and empowering other women to embrace their journey. When I see other women achieving their fitness goals, it motivates me to keep going and value my own fitness journey. 

It’s essential for me to prioritize my mental and physical well-bell as I navigate my gym experience. For me, this means tuning out self-doubt and negative self-talk, focusing on progress and not perfection, and listening to my body. By doing this, I am successful in the gym, and I feel better after every workout. 

Being a woman in the gym comes with its unique set of challenges, from navigating male-dominated spaces to confronting stereotypes. However, by reclaiming the space and prioritizing self-care, women like me can transform the gym into a place of empowerment, strength, and self-discovery. It’s time that we embrace who we are, defy expectations, and celebrate the resilience of women in fitness. 

Hi I'm Dajaiya I also go by DJ. I am UT 26 so I'm a freshman yayy. I enjoy writing short stories, spoken word, and empowering messages. I aspire to inspire others and change the world for the better. IG: @_.mulann._