This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Midterm season is stressful for any college student. There’s never enough time for anything from the one-hour sleep schedule to the laundry piling up in the basket. But how does one manage that lingering post-midterm anxiety? These are some of the ways that I manage the lingering effects of midterm season. 

Lots of Sleep

A thirty-minute nap sometimes does not suffice. I usually try to take longer naps, but I also try not to go to sleep at one, two, or three in the morning. This typically helps to get me back on some sort of sleep schedule. Sometimes I think I’m not tired when in actuality I am deeply exhausted. Let your body be able to rest!

Taking chores day by day

So there’s a pile of laundry or dishes or something you have been disregarding in either your apartment or dorm. For me, it was a multitude of things in my apartment. I try to not overwhelm myself and start cleaning the moment midterms are done. I usually make time on a weekend, but I also start by doing one to two things. This can be making sure my dishes are washed or taking out the trash. Then the next day I’ll focus on laundry and putting away my clothes. 

Stretching or getting your body moving

So I’ve found that by the time I get out of class for that last midterm, my body is sore and stiff. I like to stretch or do yoga! This helps me relax my body and not think about my midterm grades. I even like to take short thirty-minute walks while listening to my favorite artists. 

Getting back into your niche 

So this is where I start to get back into reading my books or working on that Lego kit that’s been collecting dust. I have found that being able to have the time to do something you like whether it’s crocheting, dancing, or writing helps to put you at ease. I like to think of this as remembering what you like to do in your spare time other than spending endless hours studying. 

Spend time with friends

I think during this time everyone sees less and less of their friends. I know I do. I always make sure to check up on friends and hopefully, if they’re done with midterms too we can hang out together. Having a movie night, bowling, arts and crafts, or eating dinner together. There are so many little things you can do to spend time with a friend. Usually, I like to have a movie night with a friend or two and we’ll make some popcorn, and buy some candy from the local corner store. 

Madisyn Treviño (she/her) is a Rhetoric and Writing major and is serving her first year at Her Campus at Texas. She is passionate about writing, women's rights, Taylor Swift, rom-coms, discussing intersectionality, and 90s fashion. You can find more of her work on the student-run radio station, KVRX, website. IG: @0hmadi