Wellness > Health

Falling in Love with Running (and the life lessons I learned along the way)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

If you were to time-travel back two years and tell my younger self that I would run every day for fun, I would assume you were out of your mind. Although at the time, I was a multi-sport athlete and trained for multiple hours a day, year-round, the one thing that I despised more than anything was distance running. It was an essential aspect of conditioning, especially during soccer season, but I never found the fun in gasping for air and struggling with piercing shin pain. 

It wasn’t until about March of 2020 that I discovered that running could be somewhat enjoyable. One day, most likely due to stress during quarantine, I impulsively grabbed my mother’s running shoes, stuck my phone in the strap of my sports bra, and took off down the street. At the time, I had no idea what a foot strike was, how to pace myself, or even when to breathe throughout my run. To put it simply, my runs were miserable for a very long time. I had remained stuck on the concept that I was horrible at running. As a result, I never attempted to improve. 

When I moved to Austin to attend college, I was completely lost during my first few weeks. The only piece of home I could find was the small gym located within my apartment. I had never been an avid gym rat in my past, but after working with personal trainers for volleyball, I at least knew how to operate (most of) the equipment. I started with the basics – core exercises and resistance booty-band workouts on a yoga mat – but I was not feeling any workout as much as I needed to. I eyed the treadmill many times before I finally got up the courage to walk over and figure out how to work it. To my surprise, no one cared! There was not a person in the gym that knew I was by no means a distance runner, and if they did, I continue to sleep peacefully, unaware of their judgment. This act of bravery was not only the true beginning of my running journey but also a step in the right direction of getting my footing as a freshman in college. 

When I returned home to Florida for winter break, I was at a loss of what to do without my high school friends to socialize with and without the company of my parents who were busy at work. I decided that I needed a new goal for myself. After researching distance running, I made it official to my mother over coffee and croissants that my next athletic expedition would be to run a 5k. As shocking as this was to her, she agreed that running had become a part of my life that benefitted me in more ways than one. It was a way to release stress, reach a healthy state of mind, and move my body in a way that was not too strenuous that it would harm my health. I proceeded to download the app, Couch to 5k, and truly began my running journey. The app is a 9-week training plan, consisting of 3 runs a week. As the weeks go on, you begin to run for more time, and walk for less. By the end of week 5, you run for the first time without any walking intervals.

My progress in regards to running has had its ups and downs due to injuries and illnesses, in all honesty; running is largely mental. If your head and heart are not truly “in the game,” you will fail to make the progress you wish to see. There are days where running is the last thing on my mind, but recognizing the impact that it has on improving my mental health continues to be a large factor in motivating myself towards making progress. 

I now run anywhere from 4-5 days a week, although in the past few weeks, it has become a part of my everyday routine. I have fortunately expanded my horizons beyond the treadmill and now find enjoyment in running outdoors. My favorite Texas locations include Lady Bird Lake (Austin, TX) and TC Jester Park (Houston, TX). My first 5k will (tentatively) take place on April 23, 2022, and will be a run through The University of Texas campus in Austin. As the native Floridian that I am, I also plan on participating in many RunDisney events in the coming months.

Running has not only brought me peace of mind, but it has also taught me that I can accomplish the goals I had previously barricaded myself from. Learning to jump new hurdles in life is an essential part of self-discovery and becoming a well-rounded individual. While training to run approximately 3 miles may not seem like the most impressive feat in the world, the journey often has a much greater impact than the finish line.

Casey is a third-year student at the University of Texas at Austin pursuing a journalism degree and a business Spanish certificate. She is currently a food editorial intern at Camille Styles and where she writes and publishes food and lifestyle pieces. In her free time, Casey enjoys cooking, traveling, and practicing yoga. IG: caseymckee_ Blog: KeenlyCasey.com Twitter: casey.mckee7