Top 5 Workout Apps for Your Smartphone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

I was so excited during my first year at Temple because I thought, “Oh my gosh, campus is so big and you walk everywhere in the city! I’m going to get so much exercise!” Well the problem with that was I also ate either J&H or Temple Star everyday, so it completely ruined any exercise I got. I realized to stay healthy I needed to 1) Probably stop eating so much Temple Star and 2) Do more exercise than just walking to my classes.

Well there’s a big problem with that whole “exercise” thing. We are college students! Between classes, internships, studying and the occasional party, where is the time to get to the gym?

As much as I love doing fun stuff like the Zumba classes at the IBC, it’s tough making time for that. By the time you’ve walked to the IBC and waited the half hour prior to the class, it’s time to start making note cards for your macro 101 exam the next day. Wouldn’t it be simpler and a better use of the 45 minute walk and wait to the IBC to get your workout over with? Of course.

The best way to do that is to do our own exercise in your house, apartment, dorm, etc. And with smart phones, that is totally possible. These are, in my opinion, the top five apps to get your exercise routine together while you are at college.

1. Fitocracy – IOS & Android (Free)

This app is for much more than just tracking your workout — it is a great motivational tool! It allows you to be friends with other users, post statuses about your workout routine, earn points and compete with friends. It gives you a reason to take that run or do those crunches, and since your friends can comment on your work, they can be great support!

2. MapMyRide – IOS, Android, Blackberry (Free)

So many Temple students bike to class, and there is no reason to not take that bike out after class and get in a good workout! Brianna Donatucci, a Temple University Sophomore, loves this app.

“It uses GPS to map out my bike ride routes and they map elevation, and allow me to share it with others who use the app and social media,” she says. The app is a great tool for the city teeming with bicycles!

3. Sworkit – Circuit Training IOS & Andriod (Free or Premium Versions Available)

We’ve all heard the theory that intervals and change in workout regimen is key to staying in shape. I love sets of different exercises one after the other (it keeps things interesting) and this app is perfect for that. With Sworkit, you choose the length of your workout and which kind of workout you’d like. (upper body, abs, cardio, yoga, etc.) Then you start exercising! Following the visuals with each one, it’ll give you a pattern of exercises that changes every 30 seconds and gives you breaks every couple of minutes.

4. Runkeeper – IOS & Andriod (Free)

I personally use this app all of the time. It’s really similar to MapMyRide for running, but it’s not just for running. It does the whole GPS thing for when you’re running, walking, cycling, rowing and pretty much anything else you can think of. It takes into account your personal info, the distance, pace, etc. and tells you how many calories you’ve burned. Amazing! Say you go to the gym one day to go on the elliptical and you want to record it along with your other exercises for the week. The best part of this app is that it allows you to do just that! There is an indoor, non-GPS option in which you just input the distance and time and it calculates everything to give you the number of calories you burned It also has workout plans, achievements, reminders, countdowns and tips to keep you motivated!

5. My Fitness Pal – IOS, Android, Blackberry, Microsoft (Free)

Many of you may already know that this app as it is widely popular. (And yes I know, it’s not a “workout” app. But how could I exclude such an amazing tool from a list of things that helps keep us healthy?) The app is basically a calorie-counting food diary. Simple enough, but it does much more than that. It has an entire database to search for foods, restaurants’ foods, etc., in case you don’t have the nutritional info right in front of you. It has a social media component that allows you to befriend people on the app and motivate your friends as it shows your workout progress. It tracks your daily nutritional intake as well as your overall development in your quest for health! Lianna DiRocco uses this app and her favorite part is that it incorporates both fitness and nutrition.

“You can put your exercises in as well, which affects your calories throughout the day by subtracting the ones you’ve burnt,” she said. Hello chocolate cake! And you know those apps I mentioned before? Runkeeper and Sworkit? My Fitness Pal automatically syncs with them! I know so many people who use this app, including myself and Annie Petela.

“It’s really helpful to have an app that keeps you motivated and healthy without it being too much work,” Annie says.

Now this isn’t to say that you shouldn’t go to a kickboxing class at the IBC or lift weights at TUFF. You totally should! It’s always great to mix up your workout routine. But for most days when there just isn’t enough time, Annie agrees that apps are the way to go.

My name is Michelle Davies and I am a Film student at Temple University also pursuing a writing certificate. I work at Soma, a women's clothing and lingerie boutique. I love to read and write all sorts of stories, but mostly those of empowering women, or average women, looking for empowerment and inspiration. I am a firm believer in education and hope to take my writing and media skills into that realm by being part of a Public Relations Department for an education institution.
Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.