This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

It’s mid-July. I’m working a summer job, applying to internships, hosting other families at my house, working out, catching up with hometown friends, going to church, learning how to cook, going to the beach, going to the beach again, visiting family on the weekends, and —

Enough already! I remember summer as the time when I didn’t have to make perfect grades and I didn’t have to abide by a dress code. I could sleep in and be a couch potato if I so desired. What happened to my summer?

Digging a bottomless pit

Here’s where it all began. I worked a part-time job last year, and I’m working again this summer. I’m applying to internships left and right for my upcoming semester. And to top it all off, last semester was the first time I ever received a grade lower than an A. A punch in the gut like that didn’t exactly calm me down before warm weather arrived.

I’m working this hard because I want to succeed after college. We all want to — 56% of journalism students at a Canadian university were reportedly always concerned about their post-grad employment. Plus, students in the same study who work during the school year reported that their job and academic demands increase their stress levels (Levitan & Levitan, 2016). We’re all working to create a better future for ourselves, but our work is only adding to our stresses about the future. It’s like a bottomless pit.

I’m not the only woman who has noticed extreme levels of stress due to this gaping hole of success. According to a study about undergraduate nursing students, “higher mean stress scores have been found in women than in men,” (López & López, 2011). We feel the pressure like no one else. In a study of first-year law students, “…women reported greater strain due to sexism, lack of free time, and lack of time to spend with one’s spouse/partner,” (McIntosh et al., 1994).

College women are facing an epidemic of anxiety and depression because of the pressure we feel to do well in all areas of life. We stretch ourselves to the limit and set unrealistic expectations for ourselves. We’re digging deeper into the pit. It’s time to put the shovel down.

De-stressing

De-stressing is a physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual necessity. Janice Schreier, a psychotherapist who wrote for the Mayo Clinic, recommends these three de-stressing methods to reset your body, heart, mind, and spirit.

Practice good sleep hygiene.

Schreier said that merely setting an alarm for those lazy summer mornings can help your sleep schedule stay consistent. Keep a consistent nighttime routine as well. Turn off your screens, take care of your skin and brush your teeth. 

Cultivate a sense of humor.

As futile as it might seem at first, Schreier said laughter reduces cortisol, the “stress hormone.” Allow yourself to feel happy. Allow yourself to let go of the worrisome feelings and enjoy time with other happy people. 

I generally recommend The Office for a good laugh, but it’s summer! Phineas and Ferb are way more in season. I promise Dr. Doofenshmirtz’s humor has held up since we were kids.

Strengthen family time through play.

Maybe you’re not spending time with your family this summer, so consider this tip through a different lens. Strengthen your close friendships through play. Go for a walk, a hike, a run, or a bike with people you love. I know I said that I miss being a couch potato, but physical activity makes me feel immensely better than watching six hours of TV.

Finding peace

This summer has kicked my butt so far. I miss my friends and I’m tired of my work. But I took time out of my busy schedule to write this article and tend to my craft. I can honestly say that I feel less stressed about my overwhelming life. You can find this peace, too.

No article of mine would be complete without a playlist. Here’s an Apple-curated playlist I’m jamming to when I work out, and here’s my summertime dance-inducing playlist. Use at your leisure. 

Sources

López V, Francisca, & López M, María José. (2011). SITUATIONS GENERATING STRESS IN NURSING STUDENTS IN CLINICAL PRACTICES. Science and Nursing , 17 (2), 47-54. https://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0717-95532011000200006

McIntosh, D. N., Keywell, J., Reifman, A., & Ellsworth, P. C. (1994). Stress and health in first-year law students: Women fare worse. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 24(16), 1474-1497. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1994.tb01559.x

Levitan, J., & Levitan, M. (2016). Investigating Student Stressors within a Canadian Post-secondary Professional Program. The International Journal of Learning in Higher Education, 23(4), 21-30. https://doi.org/10.18848/2327-7955/CGP/v23i04/21-30

Ella McClure Mercer is a journalism major at the Bob Schieffer College of Communication at TCU, where she reports for TCU 360. She wrote her first song on the piano when she was 10 and hasn't stopped playing since. Originally from Nashville, Ella spends her free time drinking coffee, eating at fun restaurants, and going to concerts. Instagram: @old.eller Twitter: @oldeller_