First Month of Working Out: My Thoughts and Reflections  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

For most of my life, fitness has not been of the upmost importance. I am not a super athletic person and working out has always been more difficult for me than it was for others. I remember this one P.E. class when I was grouped with the most athletic girl and she was able to do twice the jumping rope I did. Since then I have always felt physically defeated. Nowadays I’m fine with the way I look so I never felt a big push to change anything. That has not always been the case though, as a middle schooler and high schooler I went through many different diets and workout routines, but I was never consistent. I always knew I had never been the skinniest but honestly if I did everything “right,” I still don’t think I would be. I believe that is just the way my body is made. Last year was the first year where I really got rid of the self-image issues and finally started living for myself. I think I needed to be okay with my body with its flaws before I could change it. 

A month ago, I could not fit into one of my favorite pairs of jeans after winter break (trust me the winter break weight gain is real). Even though I could have boughten a bigger pair of my favorite jeans, I decided that it was time to get back into the gym. This decision was because I wanted to and not because society was telling me how to look. I think that really changed my perspective on what my future health journey would look like. Instead of going full force into this journey I decided to take it slow. And if anyone personally knows me, they know going slow is not a strength of mine, but I knew that if I wanted it to last, I will have to. I also decided that I was not going to make myself feel bad by taking a break or eating a dessert. Another thing I love to do is invite my friends to workout with me, whether it’s walking the treadmill or watching a workout video, everything is more fun with friends.  

I have seen a lot of personal benefits in my new health journey. I have grown a liking for the gym and working out, the weight room still scares me but that’s for the future Katie to tackle. I finally have a reason to leave my room after a school day instead of rotting in bed. Now I have the ability to achieve other goals outside academics which helps me keep a good work/life balence. Lastly, being surrounded by others trying to achieve their goals motives me to do better in my real life.  

I have been doing this for one whole month and I’m hoping my new health journey sticks and if it doesn’t that is still okay because at least I faced my fear of the gym and I tried something new.  

I'm a STEM major who is in need of a creative and fun outlet.