Wellness

Why You Should Consider Incorporating Yoga Into Your Weekly Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

As college students, many of us forget to take care of ourselves. This because we’re so focused on submitting an assignment by 11:59 p.m or studying for an exam. Trust me, I’ve been there, and honestly, neglecting our self-care is one of the biggest mistakes we can make. And If we ever do have that little extra time, we use it to binge on a Netflix show or take a quick nap. Yes, I’ve done that too. No shame here! But as good as it feels, taking a nap might not always be what our body needs to recover. In fact, there are many other ways, besides napping, that you could try to recharge. 

We all deserve to take some time to focus on ourselves and relax after a long busy week. We need to start prioritizing self-care and adding it to our to-do list because it is just as important as that midterm you’ve been thinking about recently. Taking that extra time to free your mind and work on yourself makes a big difference. You owe it to yourself. 

Imagine if there was something that could help you relax, mentally recharge, and even get your body active. An activity you could do from the comfort of your home without expensive equipment. Well, thanks to yoga, you can do all those things and more! Now, you may be thinking, is yoga really all that great? The answer is yes! I’d even go as far as to say yoga is life-changing and the part of my week I look most forward to.

Here are three reasons why you need to add yoga to your weekly routine:

It helps release tension from bad posture

Now that most of us are fully online students, we spend so much time in front of our computers. And I don’t know about you, but after a long week of school, I’m left with neck pain and sometimes even headaches from all the muscle strain.  Practicing yoga has allowed me to stretch, release all that tension, and get some stress relief as well.

It adds that extra workout your body needs

For me, any kind of exercise has always been a dread and nearly impossible to commit to. But with yoga, I found a way to keep my body active while doing something I enjoy. Let’s be honest, most of us don’t like to exercise, and we tend to overuse the “I-don’t-have-time” excuse to avoid it. But as much as we deny it, our body does need exercise to stay healthy! Yoga is more than just a few poses and slow moves, trust me! Try it out for yourself, and I promise you will be sweating by the end of a session.

It encourages challenging yourself in a judgement free zone

I mean, it can’t get any better than that. Working on yourself and knowing your limits matters. But realizing that your limitations are entirely different from the person next to you is even more important. Yoga teaches you to do just that; it encourages you to do what you’re currently capable of and challenge yourself a little more every day. Whether it be stretching a little further than yesterday or maintaining your balance for a little longer, yoga celebrates each one of your accomplishments. It encourages you to appreciate the little things and be proud of your improvements.

Consider putting that extra time to good use and try out some yoga. You may end up loving it, and your body & mind will definitely thank you!

Lizette is a Communication major at Texas A&M University! She considers herself a devoted Harry Styles enthusiast, and her writing is inspired by her interests in music, fashion, cliché films, and celebrity culture.