Trying out viral workouts as a beginner 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

If you have ever been interested in starting your fitness journey but were anxious to go into a new gym or lost motivation after the first week, you are not alone. Whether you are eager to start this journey for physical or mental wellness, these goals can initially seem very challenging and intimidating. 

Various sites, fitness gurus, “gym bros,” and experienced instructors all give different ways and concepts to reach these goals which can become extremely overwhelming. So, I took the initiative to try a new gym and cycle studio for five days to kick-start my fitness journey focusing on two workouts that have been trending this year: spin classes and pilates. Throughout this time, I documented what I felt, learned, and noticed as a beginner in this atmosphere to come back and share some of these thoughts. Therefore, starting your personal journey hopefully won’t feel as intimidating.

day 1 :)

My first day in the gym was Thursday, February 16th. I started my gym journey with a cycling class. Walking into the new gym was intimidating, but I started strong and did not skip my first class. Setting up your bike is an essential first step. This is controlled by the knob on the back of the bike and is adjusted based on your height. The red knob at the front of the bike is used to change the resistance on your pedals. I started in the back row of the class which made me feel more comfortable and allowed me to follow the rhythm of the people in front of me. 

day 2

The next day, I decided to try a pilates class. This class was much more challenging than anticipated, but I felt accomplished and sweaty afterward. This workout takes a lot of strength and mental discipline; it was definitely a challenge both mentally and physically. There are multiple springs at the base of the machine which your instructor will advise you to add based on the weight you will be using in the class. Getting to this class about ten minutes early to learn the basics of the pilates machine was very helpful. Bringing a towel and a water bottle are necessities for this class. 

day 3

On day three, I took another cycle class. This time I felt more confident going in and could successfully set up my bike and strap my shoes in easily before class. I still sat in the back to watch the people in front of me until I could follow along and associate some of the key terms they used throughout the class. 

day 4 

On day four, I went to my second pilates class. Pilates has been the most challenging exercise I have ever attempted. I was still sore from the first class a couple of days before. With that being said, I have never felt more challenged and accomplished in only a short span of 45 minutes. I felt like this workout has helped me physically with getting stronger and mentally by staying extremely focused.

day 5

I ended my five-day challenge with another cycle class. Feeling a little more confident, I moved up to the second row of the class. The cycle class for me was easier to follow throughout the class compared to pilates. I even brought my friend to this class, so she could try it which made the class even more fun and made the environment feel less intimidating. I think cycling can be a great way to relieve stress. Throughout this week, I could feel a huge difference, not only physically feeling better but overall feeling happier and less overwhelmed.

And now, here are some strategies that worked for me:

Make a gym playlist: 

Even if you’re going to a group class, make a playlist full of all of your favorite songs to hype yourself up before having to go in.

Come prepared:

Make sure to bring your own towel and water bottles, so you can get right into whatever workout you have planned for that day. If you are joining a class, make sure to arrive around 10 minutes early so you can get comfortable with the equipment and not feel rushed. Another great idea is to bring a workout buddy; it can make the experience of being new in a gym a lot less intimidating and can be a great way to keep each other motivated to stick with your goals.

Don’t overthink it:

Everyone is there to work on themselves and accomplish their own goals. Go in with a positive attitude, and just try your best. Don’t be too hard on yourself; I was humbled more than once, and everything in the gym is a learning process!

Hannah Hubbard is a Junior communications major at Texas A&M from Angleton, Texas. Reading and writing have always been a big part of her life, which was a leading factor in why she joined Her Campus during her freshman year! She is a second-year member who is a part of the events committee. In the events committee, she organizes social events for members. Hannah has also been a part of the writing and editing committee and has written thirteen articles. Beyond Her Campus, Hannah Is extremely focused on academics. She is a part of the pre-law Society at Texas A&M and hopes to use the organization's opportunities to pursue her future career. Hannah hopes to go to Law school after graduating from Texas A&M to pursue a career in public policy or something similar. She also hopes to be able to publish a book and still incorporate reading and writing into her life for fun. In her free time, Hannah enjoys listening to music, reading, karaoke, drinking matcha, and hanging out with her friends and family. Hannah loves animals and has five dogs, twenty cows, two donkeys, and a cat back home. Her comfort book is “Better Than The Movies” by Lynn Painter, and she recommends it to any fellow avid romance book reader. Hannah also enjoys traveling and hopes to experience more parts of the world one day.