This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Mindfulness & Being Aware

By: Abigail LoManto

Mindfulness is a way of experiencing life by being aware of yourself, your thoughts, and your body. Mindfulness isn’t sitting criss-cross-applesauce and chanting “Ohm”. It involves taking things more slowly, acknowledging your thoughts and feelings, and appreciating alone time. Mindfulness can be a form of therapy which, lets be honest, we probably all need in college.

I’m a gold-medal multitasker and a self-proclaimed gal on the go. In the past, if I was doing homework, I was listening to music or watching Netflix. If I was eating, I was listening to a podcast or on the phone. I’m sure we’ve all been doing homework at some point while simultaneously applying for jobs, flipping pancakes, and dyeing our hair. Within the past year or so, I have realized how important it is to be mindful of myself, of others, and the environment around me. This mainly involves concentrating on one thing at a time.

You may be thinking, okay, this is great and all, but I have NO time for this. But you do! Whether its 10 mins or 2 hours, try to spend time being mindful. There are a few simple ways in which you can cultivate mindfulness in your life.

On your way to class, take out the headphones, look at the trees, take in the breeze, and just think. This is one of the most relaxing things, and it can help you to clear your mind and give it a break in between classes and studying.

It’s also good to get into a routine of being mindful. Every Sunday, sit and have your coffee or tea in the morning, alone, and relax and just think. Lately, I’ve realized how important it is to do just one thing. (Yes, one thing!) By concentrating on one thing, you are letting your mind relax and giving each activity the time and attention it deserves.

When you wake up in the morning, anticipating the long day ahead with that horrible professor and dreaded Chem test, take a minute to be mindful. Lay in bed, look out the window, and get up. Be mindful of how your feet feel in your slippers and how they hit the ground. Take it all in.

Practice mindfulness when eating. After my first class on Mondays and Thursdays, I have a routine of getting breakfast and only eating breakfast. This is the only meal of my week where I eat alone and simply concentrate on eating. I don’t listen to a podcast, music, or a video; I just eat. It’s so good to concentrate on just one thing, and it has become one of my cherished parts of the day.

Also, learn to appreciate your alone time. Some of the best ideas come from being alone. We all know how real it is to have those deep, mind-bending shower thoughts, and that’s all because of mindfulness.

Another way to be mindful is by living in the moment. I know I sound like a grandma, but when we’re always on our phones or have our headphones in, we’re just not being present in our own

lives. Put down your phone and listen to your friends as they talk and actually understand what they’re saying and feeling. And when you’re doing something fun, don’t feel the need to Snapchat the whole thing, just have fun.

As students becoming young professionals, we really need to take advantage of this skill. Our lives as college students are already stressful enough and, reality check, our lives are only going to get more complicated as we figure out the crazy world of “adulting”.

After finishing that stressful midterm assignment, take some time for yourself. You deserve it!

Contributor Account
London-Calderon is a Senior at St. John's University and is EIC for the chapter. She spends her time writing, listening to music and working on several unfinished books. When she graduates she plans on going into the workforce and reporting for a publication. She is also an intern at Newsday Media.