This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

It is well-known that being a college student can be extremely rough. It’s important to acknowledge that we are extremely privileged to be able to have the opportunity to go to college, but students’ mental health can be heavily affected by the stressors that college life brings. I myself have dealt with mental health struggles throughout college and I’m only a freshman! However, I have found many avenues that help me immensely when it comes to getting my mental health in check.

1. Therapy!

One of the most vital things for aiding my mental health journey is therapy. Unfortunately, therapy is a luxury for most people. It can be extremely expensive, but at St. John’s, students can receive free therapy sessions! I take advantage of the free therapy through the school, and I highly suggest that any student that has considered seeking therapy should do so. If you’re feeling apprehensive or on the fence, I suggest going to at least one session and assessing how you feel afterwards. I have seen so many positive changes within myself and my life after going to therapy, and I highly recommend it. If your university does not provide free therapy, you can also check out the possibility of other free avenues online! 

1. Treat yourself!

Treating yourself is highly effective in turning your day around. I absolutely love treating myself to Starbucks, walking back to my dorm, and watching one of my favorite comfort shows. Taking part in my simple pleasures always leaves me feeling refreshed and at ease. Being comfortable and doing things that bring you joy (like me splurging on Starbucks or Dunkin’) can reduce anxiety and rest your soul and mind.

1. Journal your day! Write what you’re grateful for!

Journaling is another avenue I venture into when taking care of my mental health. I write out what I’m grateful for everyday because it makes me feel a lot better when I reflect on the amazing things that I currently have in my life. Sometimes, I also journal about my day. The good, the bad; I always write about everything. It feels good just to put the pen to paper and release the weight of your day onto the page.

1. Dance around in your dorm!

Another thing that I LOVE doing to release stress is listening to music. However, when listening to music, I “dumb-dance” around my dorm room. “Dumb-dancing” releases so much stress and tension from me and I just feel so much brighter afterward. I highly recommended incorporating “dumb-dancing” into your day.

1. TAKE A BREAK.

Another important thing when it comes to taking care of your mental health is TAKING A BREAK. You’re probably thinking, “how am I supposed to take a break when I have so many things to do?” Well, I was once in this mindset myself. It’s okay to be stressed about the copious amount of tasks you have to encounter, but even taking a little 30 minute break that’s primarily for relaxation is extremely helpful. When taking this break, I would prefer to not be on electronics or technology. So, I read a book, nap, or take a walk (when it’s not freezing outside). 

Mental health is such an important thing to be aware of, and I’m so happy that it is now beginning to be talked about more. College students go through a lot, and it’s so vital to make sure you’re putting yourself first. I hope you follow these tips, and that they help you to become the best and happiest version of yourself. 

Amaiya Sancho

St. John's '25

Hi! My name is Amaiya Sancho, I'm from Columbia, Maryland, and I am the Vice President/Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus St. John’s. I am a Communications major, with three minors in Social Justice, Italian, and International Studies. Writing has always been a passion of mine, so I'm more than excited to be a part of HerCampus at St. John's!