This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

College has rightly been deemed as one of the most highlighting, interesting times in one’s life; it allows kids to experience the first steps of independence, make new lifelong pals, stay up as late they please, and make choices that will allow them to learn from their mistakes and grow as individuals. However, as fun and rewarding attending a university may be, it is just as stressful. Weeks full of tests, pop quizzes, and ridiculously tight deadlines takes a heavy toll on young people and if you forget to take a breather and give yourself a break, the lack of rest will definitely affect your health and mood. Of course, with everyone’s diverse schedules, it can be difficult to find a moment to just drop everything and chill out for a bit. No matter how hectic your life may be, it’s important to find a few things that will allow you to be more organized and productive so you have enough energy to accomplish all your goals and still have time to be a regular college kid.

1. Invest in a Good Planner!

One of the best ways to gather your thoughts and keep on track with every assignment and student organization is to get a quality planner at the beginning of the school year. When you’re taking all sorts of classes and involved in various organizations, having a notebook to jot down any notes, due dates, and reminders is a great way to have a clear mind amidst endless clutter.

2. Take a Coffee or Smoothie Break!

No matter how much work you have to get done, nothing will be accomplished if you feel dehydrated. After spending a few hours buried in books, nothing hits the spot better than a latte from Mozart’s or if you’re not into caffeine, a smoothie or juice from Juice Land.

3. Exercise!

Even though going to the gym regularly can be a dread because you’re so busy, or simply because you don’t feel like it, a 30 minute run or a few yoga sessions is enough to get your blood flowing and create positive effects on your mood.

4. Spend Time with Good Company!

There comes a time during a study session when you’re so exhausted that your brain can no longer absorb any more information and you deserve a well needed break. Get together with a few of your best pals and go catch a movie, see a concert, or go get some dinner–anything to clear your mind and relax.

I am a second year student at St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas majoring in Communication with a PR and Advertising focus, along with a Business minor! I am involved in the marketing and writing industry as a social media manager and blog editor for my school's radio station, as an entertainment writer for CABRA, the official fashion magazine at my university, and more recently as a writer for Her Campus!
Taylor Duane

St Edward's