rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“You are Not Alone”: Katie Cohen Talks About Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Scared to tell your friends about anxiety or depression. Unsure of what people will think if you ever say “my therapist.” Labeling someone as “crazy” or “bipolar” when he/she is having a bad day. These are all examples of the mental health stigma. Approximately, one-quarter of college students have been treated by a professional for mental illness, yet our society still actively stigmatizes mental illness and those who suffer from mental health issues. As mental health becomes a growing concern both in the health sector but also among family, friends, neighbors, students, etc., mental health solutions and care has also increased. A week and a half ago, the University of South Carolina hosted a wide range of events for “Stigma Free USC” week. We were able to have a better understanding of the motivations behind this week with Katie Cohen, the Secretary of Health and Wellness. Katie has committed her past four years to make mental health a bigger discussion on campus and is on her way to a Ph.D. in clinical psychology after graduating this year. 

Her Campus South Carolina: When/How did you get involved with Stigma free USC?

Katie Cohen: I started student government as a freshman in freshman council. I’ve been involved in student government every year.  The [Stigma Free USC] idea came two years ago when I was talking to people at the health center about mental health awareness. The university does a good job about raising mental awareness but its different if its student-led – for students by students. It’s important because you can see that its students who want to raise awareness, which makes it more relatable for students so that they feel comfortable.

HCSC: What were this week’s goals? Do you think you reached them?

KC: Its hard to have numerical goals. Our goals are to raise awareness, get students engaged and talking about [mental health], and have fun events. I think we reached them. A lot of people posted on Instagram with #stigmafreeUSC about their stories. A lot of times with mental health awareness you don’t really know the true effect until longer when people really start taking in the message and going to a counselor. But this could take a while, its unlikely to see a flyer and go right in. This awareness is a step in the right direction.

HCSC: How did you change Stigma Free week from previous years?

KC: We have done a better job with marketing and advertising. We changed our social media campaign and created a new hashtag. This way, you are able to follow it, and post your own. If you weren’t chosen last year, you couldn’t say your own story but with a hashtag, anyone can share their own story and talk about mental health.

HCSC: What do you think are the biggest problems regarding mental health at USC?

KC: People are afraid to talk about it and there’s this idea that we look weak and will be judged for [mental health issues]. With the culture, we have with social media, and showing only the best version of our self when we’re happy and look good, we don’t want to show we’re struggling. It’s an issue because we don’t talk about it. People sometimes don’t know what that means. What is anxiety? What is depression? We devalue the terms when we throw it out casually. This is something more serious, people have died because of these illnesses.

HCSC: You have put so much time into planning and executing. Why do you think this week is so important?

KC: Personally, I’ve struggled with anxiety and depression and it’s important to me because I think if I was a freshman this would make me feel better about being at USC because I knew there were students who care and I’m not alone. That’s why I’ve put so much effort into it because there’s someone out there who feels like this and I can help.

HCSC: Do you think the stigma around mental health is changing? Or has the ability to change?

KC: I think its changing and has the ability to change. Within the four years that I’ve been at USC, more and more people are talking about mental health. The whole name is an aspiration, a goal that one day there won’t be a stigma here. And one day, we will treat mental health the same way as physical health and not judge people for it.

HCSC: If there’s one thing you would want students to take away from these activities, what would it be?

KC: That mental health matters. Its ok to talk about it. You’re not alone and there’s hope. Recognizing that your mental health matters and isn’t trivial that you’re struggling. And even if you’re not struggling it matters because someone else is.

HCSC: What was your favorite event of the week?

KC: The most fun was the cooking class, Diets Don’t Work. There was delicious food and we talked about eating disorders and how to recognize when you or a friend is suffering. The Candlelight vigil was the one that most that hit my heart. It was the most meaningful.

HCSC: Anything you want to say/talk about that you haven’t had a chance yet/feel should be said?

KC: People aren’t alone. You’re not alone. Even if you feel like your alone there is someone out there who understands, and there are things you can do to help.

If you believe you or someone you know is suffering from a mental illness, contact USC Counseling and Psychological Services at 803-777-5223 or 803-777-1833.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-TALK

From New Jersey Student at the University of South Carolina
Bri Hamlin

South Carolina '19

Hello, it's Bri (to the tune of Adele please). I am a senior at USC Columbia and am not currently thirty, flirty, and thriving, but twenty-one, anxious, and trying will sure do.