Wellness

I Tried Out All The Workout Studios in Columbia So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

I’ll be the first to admit that I have a problem with being committed. Buying a membership pass for any workout studio and committing to coming multiple times a week to make the money worth it is just not in me. I like mixing up my routine and doing classes that feel right for my body that week. It might not be the smartest decision to always buy the 20 something single class pass instead of the $200 full month pass, but I’m someone who doesn’t always workout 3-4 times a week. 

I simply don’t work out enough to justify buying a membership especially when sometimes the prices are absolutely insane. I tend to do free work outs that I can squeeze in every once in while in order to stay in shape and save money. However, I can’t deny I love a free first class trial at any studio that offers them! It’s an amazing way for me to try a new workout without spending the money and enjoy myself. In this article, I’ll be sharing my experience and thoughts about some workout places I have tried in Columbia! 

USC Group x
  • Of course, I have to mention one of USC’s greatest resources on campus! Strom’s Group X semester passes for students are only $30. Compared to most workout studios, this is a very affordable option for college students. There is a massive selection of classes, all taught by students. Options include zumba, yoga, pilates, cycling, HITT, and barre. I love doing these classes whenever I get the chance because it’s close by and an easy workout. Every now and then, classes are completely free for students to try out!
Studio Fire
  • Hence the name, it is a hot yoga studio located on Rosewood. They have 6 different types of classes: Well Flow, The Formula, Fire Flow 2, Chill Pill, The Remix, and Metabolic. While most are hot yoga, classes like Chill Pill aren’t heated. Their classes are so wonderful and always leave me feeling strong and good about myself. I especially love the cold lavender towels they give at the end of class as you close your eyes and reflect. I know many people who workout regularly at Studio Fire and they all have positive things to say about it. 
  • It’s a quick drive from campus, but it comes at a hefty price of $499 for Student Semester Pass or $222 for a 10 class pack. First classes are discounted to be $15, regularly a single class is $27. However, there are 2 weeks unlimited for new clients for only $55
YogaSix
  • Similar to Studio Fire, YogaSix is a yoga studio, but has more unheated options. Located a little bit further away in Forest Acres, it’s a super nice studio that has a strong community. I like going here with my friend and when I want a lighter workout. It has a smoothie place a few steps away that always hurts my wallet after each class. I also find YogaSix to have more older and co-ed participation. 
  • Their prices include $136 for a monthly unlimited membership and $229 for a 10 class pack. The first class is free, but single classes are $25
Barre3
  • Barre3 is a group fitness studio that focuses on strengthening both the mind and body. These classes use more materials like weights, resistance bands, and yoga balls that are all provided. I was a little overwhelmed when I first went because there were so many people, leaving little room to move around. No shoes were also allowed, most people were barefooted or wore grip socks. This might be a turnoff for some people. However, the community was great and super welcoming. I noticed a lot of moms used this studio because they provide a play lounge for kids. It’s a great place to consider if you are a busy parent. 
  • Pricewise, it is more affordable than the other option I mentioned before. Single classes are $23 with the play lounge being an extra $8. They also have special offers for new clients, first class is free or 2 weeks unlimited for $59. The 10 class pack is $209
Orangetheory
  • Now if you want a really intense workout, try Orangetheory. Orangetheory was all over my social media, so I had to try it out. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of doing my first class after not working out for like 3 weeks straight during winter break. I pushed myself hard and my body was sore for days! 
  • Orangetheory is unique in the fact that they use science and technology to help you lose weight and gain muscles! With the help of a heart rate monitor, you can see your stats in live time, allowing you to measure how hard you’re pushing yourself and to adjust as needed. The monitor is provided for you in the first class with no charge to you, but I believe you have to pay for it once you become a member. You switch between 3 stations during class: treadmill, rowing machine, and weights. This is to work on 3 categories: cardio, power, and strength respectively. 
  • If you like diversity in workouts, coach-led sessions, and trackable stats, Orangetheory is a good option. However, all of this comes with a more expensive price tag. There is no solid price because it depends on your location. After some research, it is estimated that it is $59 – $79/month (basic membership), $99 – $159/month (elite membership), and $149 – $159/month (premier membership). For a 10 class pack, it is $199 to $239, but first class is free.
Avona Le

South Carolina '25

Hi! I'm the Editor in Chief at the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter. I oversee all articles published by our chapter and even write some of my own! I'm currently a junior at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, majoring in Marketing and Finance with a concentration in Business Analytics. I want to pursue a career in marketing analytics or market research. In my free time, I love to try new restaurants, hang with friends and go on walks. I am always down to catch an amazing view of the sun or the stars!