This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Around two years ago, I decided to try a new fitness class with the expectation that I would hate it. The class was 1-hour power hot yoga in a room heated to 105 degrees and I almost did not make it through the class. Afterwards, I never expected to go back. If you would have told me then that it is now one of my favorite activities and that I go four times a week, I would not have believed you. Although it was daunting at first, it has now changed my life and I believe everyone should try it at least once.

Disliking Yoga at First

I, like many people, had done a yoga class before. They were non-heated, slow, stretch yoga flows taught through gym class or just at home to unwind from the day. While I had done these flows multiple times, I was never a fan of them. I did them more so because I “had to” or because others were doing it, not because I had a passion of it. I found it repetitive, slow, and boring. I did not see any point in spending time doing a flow for 30 minutes that simply involved going into downward dog and then sphynx. Although my view on this has changed drastically, it was not until hot yoga that I learned to appreciate a slow, non-heated flow.

My First Hot Class

One random day I decided to try a hot yoga class. I had driven past the studio, and it looked cute from the outside, so I decided to look into it and try out a class. As I mentioned, I figured I would hate it as much as I hated regular yoga but wanted to try it anyways. The second I walked into the studio I thought it was a mistake. Without doing any movement I already felt so depleted from the heat and humidity being above 100 degrees that I had no clue how I was going to make it through the class. Once we started the flow I wanted to give up. I chugged my whole water bottle within the first 30 minutes and took break after break. All I wanted to do was walk out but I paid for the class, so I was determined to see it through. I vividly remember walking out, calling my mom, and telling her I hated it and I was never going back.

Trying it One More Time

To this day, I honestly do not know what made me go back. I was so adamant on never going to another class but something pushed me to try one more. Although I cannot remember why I did, I am so beyond glad that I did. After that second class I was hooked. It was no longer “slow, repetitive, boring yoga” it was my new passion and biggest hobby. I wanted to go as much as possible and introduce as many people as possible. Class after class, week after week, I got better. I perfected my balance, my moves, and my coordination and can now do moves I had never dreamed of doing before.

stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

What Hot Yoga Has Given Me

Hot yoga has given me so much. When I am home in Maryland, every week I go to hot yoga in Baltimore with my cousin. Before we did hot yoga together, we were close and texted often, but we saw each other once a year. It has not only strengthen my relationship with her, but my body as well. I have become so much stronger, both physically and mentally, and I owe that to hot yoga. It takes a lot of stamina to show up and not walk out when a room is heated to above 100 degrees.

Give it a Try

I have taken a good number of friends and family to their first hot yoga class and not one has walked away hating it. Although hard at first, the outcomes that one gets from sticking to hot yoga are so rewarding. I believe everyone should try at least one class in their lifetime. If you do not like it, that is fine, but you never know unless you try. As I was, I hated the idea of yoga and never thought I would even consider hot yoga, but now it is my greatest passion.

Amber Brown

South Carolina '26

Amber is an editorial member of the Her Campus South Carolina chapter. She writes articles every month best directed at other females giving advice, reviews, and sharing her opinions on all things college, South Carolina, entertainment, and lifestyle. Amber is a sophomore nursing student at the University of South Carolina from her home state of Maryland. She has a strong passion for helping children and infants so once she graduates with her BSN in the year 2026, she hopes to become a labor and delivery, pediatric, or NICU nurse in a hospital. When Amber is not with Her Campus, she has many passions and hobbies. She loves taking hot yoga classes, and hopes to one day become an instructor herself, hiking scenic trails that end in an overlook view, baking and cooking new recipes, and traveling. She has been vegetarian for 9 years and is a huge advocate of living a healthy, balanced lifestyle. Amber is a huge movie fan, specifically those from the 80s and 90s, but she will always be up to date on the newest films in theatres. When the end of the year approaches and we have reached the fall and winter months, you will find many festive and seasonal articles from her as she loves to be in the spirit of the season.