stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

My Current Health Obsessions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

My Current Health Obsessions

With the New Year New Me motivation slowing down, having a routine is crucial for the healthy lifestyle habits to stick. A great way to stay on the health grind and bring constant motivation daily is the Apple Watch. While the trend circulating around the Apple Airpods and its full wireless functionality, the Apple Watch is what can keep track of your daily habits and engrave it into your daily routine all on your wrist. This product brings accuracy in tracking and gives constant reminders of the task to complete each day.

The App store for the Apple Watch is endless, great for finding the best apps to suit your health journey. An important app is a water tracker, the title says it itself as you can update it to keep track of your water intake every day. Having this app has improved my health and hunger as I can now drink 8 glasses of water a day, with a lot of trips to the bathroom as expected. It is not limited to water, try adding in fruit to the water including cucumbers, lemons or oranges for added flavoring and refreshing taste. Having the move/ ring (calories counter), exercise ring and standing tracker can keep you active all day. If your interval training like me, having the interval timer app is the best to time the start and stop of each exercise and all hands-free way to close the exercise ring. Even going out for a 30-minute walk can keep you active and bring you one step closer to closing all the rings. Standing for one minute each hour for 12 hours is recommended a day, especially if you are constantly sitting during work or studying for classes. Each day you move and burn more calories than expected, and the Apple Watch keeps track and motivates you to continue to move.

Foam rolling is a great activity that keeps the body healthy with many different benefits. Doing this at least once a week can increase blood flow to the targeted area which can stretch and loosen the muscles. It is an affordable, around $20, self-massaging tool that will release the tension from your muscles and bring relaxation after a workout, especially a workout where you expect to be sore the next day from.       

As mentioned previously, the Apple Watch has great apps of the interval timer which can be for High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). These types of exercises are crucial for the most effective workout in your workout training plans. HIIT is ideal for the people who have little time to spend at the gym or do not have a gym membership but want a quick and effective workout that will burn a lot of calories. It is easier to stay motivated for a shorter workout than the dreaded long period of cardio. The type of interval training that can be done is sprinting, jumping rope, and if you do have cardio equipment, cycling, elliptical and the treadmill. There are many different forms and adjusting to the one that best suits you will keep this a habit.

Teresa Gulli

Sonoma '19

My name is Teresa Gulli and I am a writer for the Her Campus at the Sonoma State University Chapter.