stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Keto Diet, Fad or Fact?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Imagine if you committed to a diet where all you ate was high-fat dairy, meat, eggs, fats, oils, above-ground vegetables, leafy greens, nuts, seeds, and some fruits…BUT…you had to avoid all grains, bread, pasta, sugar, milk, corn, beans, rice, high-sugar fruits, high-carb vegetables and more? Well you just agreed the Keto Diet!

One might think that this diet seems extremely difficult to follow; the answer is that it is a complex diet and can be challenging! During ketogenesis, the body produces ketone bodies through the metabolic breakdown of fatty acids. These ketones provide the body with energy during the state of ketosis, which is reached when the body is restricted of carbohydrates and during periods of fasting or starvation. Normally the body chooses to break down glucose, which is a body-stored carbohydrate called glycogen, first using it as fuel if there is excess depending on the food that is eaten; ketosis is never reached. However, if the body is low in carbohydrates, it will break down fats first and choose ketones as its default energy source. That is why this diet regimen is focused on consuming high amounts of healthy fats, moderating amounts of protein, and consuming low amounts of carbohydrate. Think of ketosis as the state your body enters once all the carbohydrates are metabolized for energy, and ketones will provide the energy needed! It is a common misconception that eating fats make you “fat.”

The Ketogenic Diet continues to be scientifically researched and shows many health benefits including:

• Weight Loss
  • Increased Energy
  • Improved Blood Sugar (Glucose) Levels
  • Reduced Risk of Type II Diabetes
  • Neuroprotective Effects
  • Lower Triglycerides and Increased HDL levels
  • Reduced Risk of Heart Disease
  • Increased Fertility for those with PCOS

Some Keto health facts to remember if deciding to start a Ketogenic Diet:

• Ketosis is not an immediate stage one enters even if you cut the carbs – this diet processes as a cycle where the body enters and exits the stage of ketosis depending on many factors including one’s carbohydrate intake and diet history. The body must burn through the consumed carbs first, then stored glycogen, then lastly fat.
  • Electrolytes are diminished with the drop in water, therefore it is important to supplement safely. This is important to note because the first stage of weight loss is water weight, and water molecules are attached to glycogen.
  • Despite the skepticism, this diet works well for women. However, they should be careful – rapid weight loss or hormone imbalances could cause irregular menstrual cycles. Therefore women should never completely cut off carbohydrates in order to avoid health complications.
  • Keto flu is a health factor that one may have to overcome in order to accomplish ketosis. This flu-like illness is a result of glycogen or carbohydrate depletion. The symptoms include nausea, vomiting, irritability, dizziness, weakness, headache, muscle soreness, sugar-cravings, diarrhea, constipation, and fatigue. Some solutions are as follows: drink a lot of water, replace those electrolytes, eat enough healthy fats, and get some sleep!

I would like to conclude that I am not a nutritionist and do not claim to know all there is about the Ketogenic Diet, but I am aware of how the body functions in a pathophysiologic sense, and from my research, the diet seems to be legitimate. This diet has been around for a century and has accredited medical studies with proven health benefits to show. If this diet works for you, congratulations! With true determination and attention to your body, you could truly benefit from the keto diet. Food can be medicine too!

Lynsey Fiebelkorn attends Saint Louis University. She is a Writer and Editor for Her Campus. She is passionate about improving health care and healthy living. In her spare time she enjoys cooking or dining out, staying active, and keeping up with pop culture.
Sarah is the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. She is a Junior studying English and American Studies with a primary interest in 20th-Century and Contemporary American Literature, particularly semi-autobiographical fiction and novels that celebrate diversity within the fabric of American society and culture. Sarah is originally from Minneapolis, MN (and will talk your ear off about it) and loves all things literature, intersectional feminisim, travel, food, and politics. Ask her for recommendations for exciting new novels or local restaurants, and she will gladly oblige!