Wellness

How to stop being so tired all the time: The 7 types of Rest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

I am so tired all the time. 

If you’re a college student, I’m sure this is a statement you’ve been able to relate to at one point or another. Handling a school workload is difficult enough on its own , but when you add a job, a social life, family responsibilities, and maybe more on top of that, it’s no wonder so many college students are exhausted. 

As we all know, getting consistent, quality sleep is extremely important, but what if that doesn’t feel like enough? What if you feel like you could sleep 10 hours every night and still go through the day wishing you were comfy in bed, asleep? 

It may be because sleep, by itself, is not enough. That’s what Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith talked about in her 2019 TED Talk on chronic tiredness and the 7 types of rest all humans need.

She said that  in addition to physical rest, humans need mental, spiritual, emotional, social, sensory, and creative rest. 

By incorporating these into your routine, you may be able to shake that feeling of forever wishing for just a few more hours of sleep. Here are some ideas for how you can squeeze more rest into your day as a busy college girl! 

Mental rest

The whole point of mental rest is just to give your brain a break. Many college students are juggling a million things at once, and sometimes we need to find a way to shut all of that down and just be still and exist. 

Get yourself a “racing thoughts” journal.This will be a place for you to write down all of those annoying, fast-paced thoughts, especially the never-ending to-do lists, that keep running through your head and that’s keeping you from feeling peaceful. 

Meditation is another great way to give yourself mental rest, but it can be hard if you’re a beginner and your brain is resistant to slowing down. 

Whether it be a note in your Notes app or a cute little notebook from your favorite stationary store, your “racing thoughts” journal will be somewhere you can release all those worries with the intention of coming back to them when you are well-rested and ready to take them on.

Sensory rest

Sensory rest is all about taking some weight off your shoulders after a long day of stimulation. If you tend to feel like your senses are working overtime throughout the day, try ending your day with an ambiance shower.

It could be as elaborate as candles, white noise, a diffuser and your favorite incense.  It could be as simple as choosing a lamp with soft lighting rather than your bathroom’s overhead light as well. 

Even showering in silence under the soft glow of a salt lamp can be extremely healing and restful, especially if incorporated into your daily routine.

Creative rest

As college students, we expend a lot of creative energy. With daily problem-solving, brainstorming and creating in many different ways, we may find ourselves exhausted. One good way to set yourself up to incorporate creative rest into each of your days is by making yourself a playlist of high-vibrational music

This could be white noise set at specific frequencies meant to raise your vibrations, or just a playlist of some of your favorite songs, preferably with lyrics and sounds that lift your mood. You can take time in the middle of  the  day to sit back, stop creating, and absorb the energy of the beautiful creations of others. 

Emotional rest & Social rest

Sometimes, the most restful thing we can do is simply make time for ourselves to be alone. Both emotionally and socially, dedicating a portion of your day (or your week) to you and only you can give you a chance to recharge and get back in touch with yourself. 

Something as simple as turning your notifications off and going for a walk in a safe area is a great way to be alone, be outside (preferably in nature, as this is another great way to get emotional rest), and practice self-care.

If walking isn’t your cup of tea, any intentional time spent  doing something you enjoy on your own will do! Read your favorite book, go to your favorite boba spot, or drive somewhere and watch the sunset. You do you <3

Spiritual rest

The main goal of spiritual rest is to get out of your head and out of your own body, and spend some time engaging in something outside of yourself. Being a student can consist of living in survival mode from week to week and focusing intensely on our own tasks, needs, and wants. 

Volunteering can be a great way to break this cycle. Spend  some time at SJSU’s Campus Community Garden, and your spirit will thank you for the fresh air and the feeling of contributing to something greater. To make a long story short, respectfully, touch some grass. 

Physical rest

Last but, of course, not least is physical rest. This is where sleep comes into the picture. Getting consistent, quality sleep is undoubtedly one of the best things you can do for your mental and physical health. However, it’s not the only way to get physical rest into your routine.

Light some incense, set down a mat or any cloth, and get some stretches in. The whole point of this is to take some time and release some of the tension you carry in your body throughout the day. If you’re not sure where to start, there are a lot of YouTube channels out there (like this one) that you can turn to for help. 

It’s easy to get wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of weekly deadlines and responsibilities, but remember that in order to keep it up, you have to take care of yourself. Okay, now that I only slept for 3 hours last night,  it’s time for me to go and take my own advice!

Follow Her Campus SJSU on Instagram at @hercampussjsu for more tips on how you can bring wellness into your busy college girlboss life!

Hi! My name is Dominique and I'm a 5th year journalism student at San Jose State University. I'll be graduating at the end of this semester! Like many college students, I don't know exactly what my path after graduation will look like yet, but I am learning more about myself everyday. I love baking, being out in the sunshine and any TV shows that are dripping with drama! As a journalism major, I've written a lot and I'm excited to be exploring new topics as part of the Her Campus SJSU writer's team with a wonderful group of women!