Working women?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working women?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Career

Tips for Grad School Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Everyone has a different path after graduation. Some have internships set up from the summer before, others enter the job market, there are those who take a gap year to do service or travel, and still there are those who chose to continue their education and go into graduate school. If you are applying to graduate school, whether you just graduated undergraduate or if it has been a few years, these tips can help you nail your interviews!

Dressing Up Doesn’t Mean You Can’t Dress Like You

It is never a bad idea to ask current students what they wore to their interview, and when it doubt go for business professional. You can never be too classy. Do wear what the situation calls for, but make it your own. You are dressing up, but you should still look like yourself, after all, that is who they are trying to get to know. Be sure to try on your outfit(s) before the day of so you know what fits, what is comfortable, and what needs to be ironed. 

Do Your Research

Before you have your interview, try to read up on the school and program as much as possible. Interviewers appreciate when an applicant has “done their homework” and can explain why they are interested in the program based on what makes it different from others. To do that, you need to know your stuff. Read about the school’s mission and values. Do they align with your own? Additionally, if you know who is interviewing you, don’t be afraid to do some research about them, too.

Fuel Up

It’s important to look your best, but it is even more important to feel your best. No matter how nervous you are, eat something. If you can make it nutritious, that is even better! In the same way, getting a good night of sleep before your interview day will help you to be more present and engaged.

You Are Interviewing Them Just As Much As They Are Interviewing You

Sometimes it feels weird to ask the interviewer questions, especially if those questions suggest that you are judging the school. It’s okay. You are judging the school. Just as much as they want to see if you are a good fit for their program, interviews are a great opportunity to learn more about the school and decide if it is a good fit for you.

Be Yourself

Not every answer you give them needs to be completely seriously professional. If you have a funny story you can include while keeping it appropriate, go for it! Smile. Laugh. Or, if you aren’t a very expressive person, don’t. If a school doesn’t want you for who you are, then it isn’t the right school for you. 

Is It Virtual?

A lot of interviews are happening virtually these days. If you’re meeting over video call, make sure you have a solid internet connection, do your best to find a quiet place with good lighting and a simple background, turn off your notifications on whatever device you are using, and consider what your outfit might look like on camera. Some people go for the “skype interview” look of professional on top and sweats on the bottom. I personally like to dress head to toe because it puts me in that ~zone~ but it is up to you and your comfortability. 

These are just some tips, tricks, and reminders. What happens in your interviews is up to you and you alone. My biggest piece of advice? Right before you start, take a big deep breath and remind yourself that you can do this, because you can.

Warner Bros. Television

Kelsey Baron is Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She spent her time at Siena studying as an Interdisciplinary Major specializing in Healthy Intimate Relationships.