stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mindfulness Exercises of the Week: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Stress. We’ve all experienced the breakouts, sweat and bitten fingernails as a result of it. As college students, it may feel like there are times when the workload piles on and on and there’s no way we can gain strength to rise above it all.

But, what if I told you there was a solution that would keep you from falling into such a pit of despair? Mindfulness. Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us, according to mindfulness.org. Of course, it takes practice to put aside all of the events that happen in our daily lives, but practice makes perfect! That’s why I am here to help you in your endeavor to becoming a peaceful, stress-free individual! At least, in some regard.

Before diving into methods on how to become a mindfulness master, there are a few things you should know about the art of self-reflection. I say art because it truly is a beautiful form once you master the ability to turn your attention to your own conscious thoughts and free yourself from other people’s expectations. You develop the ability to listen to your inner consciousness and let your deepest desires and values guide your actions. You may even find you acquire more abundance and prosperity because you are living as your best self. However, this may sound like sunshine and rainbows, but be aware, it takes practice and strength to listen to yourself ALL the time. Especially considering how we live in a world of constant go-go-go and expectations.

So, if you are ready to join me on a journey to achieving mindfulness, here are a few methods to try:

1. Yoga
  2. Journaling
  3. Meditation
  4. Laying outside
  5. Any type of cardiovascular or HIIT exercises
  6. Laughing with friends
  7. Disconnecting from electronics & social media
  8. Reading
  9. Exploring a new hobby
  10. Dress up and feel confident!

All of these methods above share a common theme: they help you feel empowered. The basis of mindfulness is making yourself feel good from the inside out, without reliance on an external force. You are the force! Confidence builds as a result and influences almost every area of your life accordingly. Therefore, if you have yet to tune into your own consciousness, I highly suggest you attempt one of the above methods this week. One builds into two. Two into three. Regardless of which exercises you choose, it is beneficial to inquire a mindfulness regimen to balance out the negative and keep you in control of the positive. Peace out. 

Thumbnail Image by the Author

Jessica Buck is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Digital Marketing & Communications, Biology, and Management.