Wellness > Health

How I Found The Best Form Of Exercise For Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Before we start let me just say that I in no way, shape, or form am athletic. I am very passionate about two things: snacks and the Bachelor. The thought of running actually makes my heart race, and gym class was always a source of anxiety because I without fail was always picked last. Yet, I managed to play every sport you could think of growing up. My mother said it was to keep me busy; I think it was because she wanted me to make friends.

Regardless, you name it I played it. Gymnastics, check; basketball, check; soccer, check. I was even a competitive swimmer for seven years! Thankfully all the sports finally stopped once I got to high school and I reverted back to my passions once again: snacks and the Bachelor.

Exercising didn’t come into play until college. I had always been “pudgy” but did not really find a reason to exercise. All that changed when my friends planned a Christmas break trip to Cancun, Mexico. The motivation to look good in a swimsuit was real. I decided to hit the gym but didn’t know where to start.

As I was sitting in my dorm I thought to myself, “What could I actually manage?” My roommate happened to be going to a spin class offered at our college gym, and I decided to tag along. I was out of breath by the time the warm up was done, but nonetheless I was hooked. As I started going week after week (for free btw), I realized that it was the environment that made me want to keep coming back. The lights are low, the music is loud, and the instructor is hyping you up like your best friend would at a frat party.

The spin classes are 45 minutes of heart pumping cardio, but in a good way. They burn close to 700 calories and make you sweat like crazy. The push-ups on the handle bars will make you so sore, but everyone strives to not have flabby arms. Climbing hills to Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb” and sprinting to a Calvin Harris song are things I look forward to every week. The rush I would get after the work out made me just want to keep coming back. The longer I have done the classes, has made me realize that to commit to working out you have to find something that you like. It is actually really simple, you do not need to be an all-star athlete to walk into a gym, you just have to be open-minded and willing. Trust me, exercise can be fun, you just have to find the right kind.

I'm a Junior at Seton Hall University. I'm a Graphic Design and Advertising Major and have always had a passion for writing. My other passions include Reality TV, specifically the Bachelor, and I spend my time listening to all types of music. I have a love for Beyonce that cannot be replicated, and I am not afraid to show it.