bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Exercise? With What Time?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Welcome to college, the place where suddenly it’s a lot harder to find the time, energy, and motivation to work out the way you might have done in high school. Whether you’re coming to school as an athlete, entering college as someone who kind of worked out in high school but you’re lost in college, or you’re in college wanting to get into fitness but not really knowing how–this is for you. Part of my high school years included the privilege of going to a personal trainer a few times a week, and while I no longer workout there with them (because getting to Kirkland when you live in Seattle and don’t have a car is unrealistic on so many levels), I was able to get in touch and get the inside scoop so that YOU can have a healthy, happy time in college.

For context, Steve Demspey is the lead trainer and director at Fitness Together, located in Kirkland. He has an MS in Physical Education from Indiana University Bloomington, he is a Certified Exercise Physiologist from the American College of Sports Medicine, and a Certified Performance Enhancement Specialist from the National Academy of Sports Medicine. From my own experience working with him, I can say that he is a health enthusiast and a wonderful trainer.

What are some basic things to keep in mind when first getting into working out?

Any movement is good movement. Start small but keep going. If there is a setback–don’t let it derail you– get back moving. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) peaks at 36 to 48 hours after exercising. Best thing you can do is MOVE again. You may gain weight before you start to lose it. The body composition is changing–you are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. Don’t let it discourage you. Don’t look at a scale–listen to how your body feels. Is it easier to climb stairs? How do your clothes fit? How much energy do you have at the end of the day?

How do you recommend incorporating exercise and fitness into a school-heavy or work-heavy life?

Make it a priority. Doing something every day for 10 minutes a day is better than doing an hour once a week. And you can usually find 10 minutes in your day to move. Find ways to move–take stairs; set an alarm on your computer to move every hour, park farther away so you walk more. Move 1st thing in the morning–then there are fewer opportunities to get “too busy” to move. Make it fun! Do what you enjoy. If you enjoy dancing–go dancing (if you don’t like riding a bike don’t say you are going to ride a bike.)

Do you have any suggestions for healthy eating?

Portion control is key. Even “healthy” foods consumed in large quantities will add weight. A serving of protein is the size of a deck of cards (about 3 oz.). Slow your eating. Put your utensil down between bites; don’t eat in your car; eat with friends and talk (not with your mouth full of course). Drink some water before eating.

What is a relatively simple workout that individuals can do at home/in a dorm room?

Body weight exercises are great for limited space/time workouts. It is very hard to injure yourself doing a bodyweight workout. A 10 minute workout plan could look like this:

Do you have any safety precautions/important things that individuals should keep in mind?  

If you have any concerns about starting a program; get a checkup from a doctor first. Know your numbers: resting heart rate, cholesterol, blood pressure, height and body composition. Look at the credentials of the people/influencers you follow. Don’t believe everything you see on “social media”. Every body is different and every body responds to exercise differently. What works for someone else may not work for you. If it is not working, try something else. Just MOVE and HAVE FUN!

Whatever the reason for pursuing fitness–health, body image, feeling good, or something else–remember to be safe and have fun with it! Like Dempsey said, it’s easy to find just 10 minutes in a day, and in a city like Seattle, not only is walking easy–it’s the cheapest method of transportation. College is a challenging time for everyone, but finding time for fitness is important. Now is a key time for developing habits that will follow you into adulthood. Know that at the end of the day, your body is beautiful, and a journey for health is only a hop, skip, or a jump away!

Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.