This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

It’s no secret that living a healthy lifestyle is hard, especially in college. We have the freedom to eat whatever we want and easily access junk food with each meal swipe. To those who have it figured out, I commend you. If you’re anything like me, then you probably think about eating right and exercising more than actually doing it. But hey – it’s the thought that counts, right? Yeah, I wish.

When I was in my first year, my friends and I first-hand experienced the infamous “freshman fifteen.” Now as a junior, I’ve slowly adjusted to a lifestyle that’s more beneficial to my health. With summer right around the corner, I’ve been sticking to these changes and have noticed they do make quite a difference. I’m nowhere near perfect and still working on being healthy every day, but the following information is what I use as my inspiration for living a healthy life.

The human body is comparable to a machine, and the food we put in it is just like fuel. It’s important to keep our bodies fueled so we have the energy to keep going. This means eating four to six small meals a day. I used to dislike snacking because it felt like I was eating more, but really I was just eating more of a variety and keeping myself energized throughout the day.

For example, if I skip breakfast, I’ll be ravenous by lunch and eat twice the normal portion size, which made me to feel tired and lazy afterward. Balance is key, otherwise it’s too easy to overindulge.

Moderation is another important factor in living a healthy lifestyle. Portion control is necessary, especially in this day and age where restaurant portions are two or three times bigger than a normal serving size. Sometimes, food is even used as a form of therapy, eaten in excess when we are feeling bored, sad or stressed. Too much of anything in life is never good. However, restricting your diet too much can leave you feeling deprived. Eating in moderation solves this problem- eat the food you love on occasion. You will likely enjoy indulging all the more because it becomes a reward.  For healthy recipes, try looking at Pinterest – they have hundreds of great ideas!

The next most important asset to a healthy lifestyle is exercise. Exercising regularly has been proven to relieve stress, improve memory and help you sleep better. It also helps those suffering with depression and anxiety because when we exercise our bodies release endorphins, which reduce the perception of pain and trigger a positive feeling in the body.  If you don’t enjoy the gym, there are other ways to stay fit, like going for runs or walks, hiking, bike-riding, doing yoga or Pilates or playing whatever sport you enjoy. Making an effort to exercise will help you mentally and physically, and you will feel better overall.

There are other tips for a healthy lifestyle, like getting enough sleep, drinking plenty of water and green tea (which has great health benefits) and taking a multivitamin. For your mental health, try reading, listening to peaceful music and cutting out negative thoughts and replacing them with positive ones.  While these may sound repetitive, they are the basics of what works. A healthy lifestyle doesn’t only change your body – it changes your mind, your mood, and your attitude. It takes 21 days to form a habit. With motivation and determination, combining these tips into a routine is a sure way to success!

Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?