This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Since I became interested in fitness and health I have felt the need to always look to others for motivation and inspiration. One thing that I have always felt intimidated is the thought of working out in the gym with men who know everything there is to know about lifting.

I have tried many different types of workouts from Peloton to Orange Theory to Tonal. These fitness classes make me feel more comfortable because I am told what to do and given a workout plan without putting in this type of thought for myself. 

The gym is a very intimidating environment even though it should not be. When I am surrounded by others I become competitive, but at the same time, self-conscious. 

I have tried many different styles of fitness. I started my fitness journey with The Chloe Ting Workout Challenge on Youtube, then I progressed to using the Peloton Bike and taking spinning classes, yoga classes and lifting classes all via the comfort of my own home. 

I then progressed to trying an in-person class with Orange Theory. This was an uncomfortable feeling at first because I was surrounded by such experienced fitness goers and felt like I did not compare to that. As time went on, I felt much more comfortable around people while working out and felt like my fitness skills were growing as well. 

One thing I did love about Orange Theory is the focus on hitting all different types of workouts including strength, endurance and power. These workouts are planned for me which is nice to not plan according to a schedule. 

Strength training is known to be a major part of the fitness growth process. Strength training makes you both stronger and fitter. There are many different levels of strength training that are appropriate for different levels of ability.

One way to get into strength is to ask a friend. I am sure there is someone you know that is knowledgeable in this area. The best way to start is getting a routine down then putting yourself in a schedule based on everything you learned. 

I learn everything from social media. Instagram and Tik Tok have been the place I learn all my new techniques and strategies to live a healthy lifestyle. I love that these platforms become a friend that wants to see you succeed. Influencers post tips and tricks for the gym, recipes and more.

One goal I am setting for myself is to learn to go to the gym and face the challenge of lifting in front of others. This is important to me because as someone who is very involved with fitness, I want to make sure I am experiencing the many different styles of working out until I find the right one. 

If you are considering the lifting process, I encourage you to do your research and give it a try. There is no shame in trying and if it is not for you, you move on to the next and finally find something you feel works best for you. 

I am a Junior at Penn State studying Public Relations with a minor in Digital Media Trends and Analytics. I love fashion, food, and anything beauty-related which can be found a common trend throughout my articles.