This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Finals week is fast approaching the University of Portland campus, and with that, all of the stress, unhealthy eating, lack of sleep, and so on. It’s practically expected when you’re in college. There’s a sort of comradery found when everyone around you seems to be a mess as they drag themselves through dead week and finals, into the sweet embrace of summer vacation. But, as humorous as it can seem when you’re working off five hours of sleep or later on, it’s incredibly important that you continue to take care of yourself during this hectic time period.

Don’t forget to sleep and eat.

It can be easy to forget a meal here and there…or all together when your mind is in a thousand different places. But, trust me, this is a recipe for disaster (not pun intended). Your body needs nutrients and fuel to keep going, and chances are you’ll feel awful and even get sick during the busiest time of the year if your body is feeling worn down by a lack of rest and food. It’s okay to take a break from the homework to get some shut-eye. Get away from the notes and books for a while to go get yourself some lunch too. Bring some snacks and water with you to the library and to classes.

Get off campus.

I don’t know about you, but if I don’t get off campus at least once a week I get restless. When it comes to finals, I need it even more. Whether you want to bring some study material to an off-campus coffee shop, go get some food with friends, or just go on a walk — leave school for a while. It helps to get a breath of fresh air and change of scenery.

Visit the rec center.

Not everyone views working out as a break, but trust me, just like eating healthy and getting enough sleep it’ll be good for you. Physically and mentally, it can provide a great outlet for all that pent up stress you’re dealing with and contribute to your overall wellbeing.

Hang out with your friends or call your parents.

Having your support system can make a world of difference. It’s easy to get swept up in all the word and feel like there isn’t enough time in the day to study, eat, sleep, and hang out with friends. But, even if it means just taking your homework and a friend and escaping campus together, do it! Make time to relax and decompress with your loved ones too, it’s important to be there for each other.

Find some balance.

For some, things such as working out can do that. For others, going to the chapel or another place of religious practice, or meditation can do this. Taking some time to sit back and reflect can help you to relax.

Visit the counseling center.

This is a wonderful resources for students at the university. If you’re feeling overwhelmed (or even if you’re feeling a-okay), try heading over here. You can talk to one of the amazing counselors about everything on your mind if you don’t feel like talking to a friend or a parent — or just want advice from an objective third-party adult.

Do something every day that’s just for you.

Whether it’s taking a small break to journal, read a book that isn’t school related, go for a walk, scroll through social media, or paint a picture…take time every single day to do something that’s for you. Try making a schedule for the week to help incorporate self-care into your life. Then, carry this on past dead and finals week! It’s important to always take care of yourself.

I'm a junior psychology major at the University of Portland. I'm an portrait photographer, intersectional feminist and Vice President of UP's Feminist Discussion Group, an activist, lover of reading and writing, and member of the LGBT+ community.