bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips for Falling Asleep When You Just Can’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

A lot of adults suffer with insomnia or some type of sleep disorder. College is especially notorious for ruining sleep cycles. Add this to the acute stress students face, and sleep may sometimes feel impossible to attain, regardless of how tired you are. If you ever have trouble falling asleep, consider some of these options to help you fall asleep faster.

7-4-8 Breathing

This is probably the easiest thing to do to help you fall asleep, and therefore the first thing you should try. Breathe in for seven seconds, hold for four, and then exhale for eight seconds. This simple exercise can help you clear your mind of any unwanted tension while helping your body to reset and prepare for sleep. Try as many times as you need to before you feel ready to rest; it can be done right in bed and doesn’t require anything but focus.

Meditation

Most people, when they think about meditation, imagine someone sitting cross legged on the floor and making weird noises, but all it involves is breathing. You can find plenty of tips and advice for meditation on the internet, but what you choose really depends on what makes you comfortable. If you can prop up your head and feet, it may help, but otherwise, just lie in bed and focus on how you’re breathing – nothing else. Notice how long your inhales and exhales are, and try to make them about the same length. Clear your head of any unwanted thoughts, and before you even realize it you should already be fast asleep.

Wear Socks

To most people, this probably seems like a very weird habit, but studies show that keeping your hands and feet warm at night increases blood flow and circulation, which helps to hasten sleep onset.

Yoga

We may not all be experts in child’s pose or downward dog, but a few simple yoga positions on the floor of your room can help to control your breathing and reset your body. Numerous poses with ranging difficulties can be found all over the internet. Even just ten minutes right before bed can help your body transition from your busy day to sleep.

Take a Hot Shower

There is nothing like a nice hot shower to clear your mind and relax your body before bed. Especially when you just can’t seem to slow down, hot water can help relax your muscles and make it easier to transition into sleep.

Go For a Workout

A really intense workout can help you to use up your day’s leftover energy and even alleviate some stress. After clearing the mind and exhausting the body, it can be much easier to relax and let your body fall asleep more easily.

Read a Book

Reading almost always makes you tired, no matter what time of day. A good book might keep you too engrossed, but consider reading a few pages of a textbook or some equally boring material and you’ll be ready for some sleep in no time.

Listen To Music

Soothing music can often help clear your head of any unwanted stressors and also help you to relax and regulate your breathing. On top of this, it can drown out any unwanted noise that may be coming from outside your room. Concentrating on your breathing while listening can prepare your body to slow down and get ready for bed.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Travel.Photography.Fashion
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt