This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

With the gyms on campus opening back up for reservations, it’s always packed, especially at the Pete. Sometimes you’re lucky if you can even get in. I’ve found myself having to reserve a spot several days in advance, so I’ve definitely been getting better at sticking to a routine. However, with a busy college schedule, I understand how hard that can be. So, I am here to share some tips!

You won’t always find motivation, but you can always have discipline.

People generally expect that once they find motivation, they will finally see results. However, it actually goes like this: find the discipline, be consistent, see results, get motivated by results and the cycle continues. Don’t always expect to be super excited to workout. Instead, try to remember why you want to workout and remind yourself that you’ll never regret a workout.

If you don’t feel like working out, get up and start your workout for five minutes.

Most times, you’ll want to keep going. If you still aren’t feeling it after five minutes, then at least you tried!

Usually, if you’re comfortable in bed or watching Netflix, your mind will try to convince you not to get up and work out. You might have a million reasons not to get your workout done on a particular day, but in reality, only a small portion of your day is spent working out, and you will feel much better after (especially once you get your endorphins pumping).

Set goals for daily movement.

For example, set a goal for yourself to walk at least 25 minutes per day or do at least 10 minutes of yoga. These small goals can go a long way! Plus, you’ll start to form a concrete habit once you’re in this routine for a while. Then, once you’re used to being active every day, you can progress to harder workouts and longer amounts of time spent being active.

Find workouts you actually enjoy.

Don’t make yourself do HIIT and extra cardio just because you think that’s what you should be doing. If you like weightlifting, dancing, pilates or kickboxing, then do what you love! It will make your workouts 10 times more enjoyable, making you more likely to stick to a routine.

Make sure you incorporate rest days!

Taking time off is very important for recovery. If you try to force yourself to work out seven days a week, you will eventually burn out and could fall off the wagon, losing a bunch of progress. This definitely won’t help you maintain your routine longterm, so try to remember that your body needs plenty of rest to heal and grow.

Find a split that works for you.

For example, if you can only get to a gym three days a week, try:

Day One: glutes and hamstrings

Day Two: back and biceps

Day Three: chest & shoulders

Or something along those lines! Copying someone else’s workout split from Instagram might not always work for you, so try to adapt one to fit with your schedule. I like to keep certain workouts in the Notes on my phone, so that I’ll already know what I’m doing when I get to the gym. Nothing is worse than getting to the gym and not having anything planned, because you’ll just end up doing something less effective.

Pick a time of day that works best for you and make a plan to workout.

If it’s going to be super early in the morning, get everything ready for yourself the night before! You could even meal prep so there’s no excuses. If you find that you work out better at night, then by all means, try to incorporate most of your workouts into your evening time! Setting a specific time for yourself may help you to stick to your schedule, as opposed to randomly deciding a different time each day.

Use a calendar to track your consistency.

Mark off each day that you have reached your goals. This will help to remind you exactly why you are trying to be more active, which will also show you how much you have progressed in the long run. Remember that there are plenty of other reasons to work out besides your appearance, which include better energy, helping with stress and building your confidence!

Starting a new workout routine can be intimidating and stressful, but the benefits far outweigh the concerns. Working out usually makes me feel so much better when I am having a rough day with classes and my mental health. It’s a great way to get in a better headspace and have fun! Plus, building a routine for myself makes me feel confident and energetic. There are so many reasons to start this journey, and I hope these tips and tricks help!

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt