This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When you get busy, prioritizing self-care can be super difficult. Some days, we only have time for a face mask and a quick nap, but there are lots of other activities you can do to make sure you are keeping yourself both mentally and physically healthy. Next time you’re in need of some TLC, check out this list for some super easy self-care ideas!

1. Meditation 

Meditation might sound intimidating if you’ve never done it before but it’s a great way to relax and clear your mind. There are apps that you can use, like Headspace or Calm, that are super easy to follow along with for a short 10-15 minute session. Meditation can really help you to stay present and relaxed in your everyday life.

2. Take a Walk

Taking a walk outside is a great way to connect with nature, and it gives you the alone time you might need to work through some of your thoughts. Sometimes, all you need is some fresh air and sunshine to feel re-energized. You can snap some photos along the way of the beautiful scenery, too!

3. Exercise/Workout

Being in great physical health can help keep your mind happy too. Consider doing some relaxation yoga or going to the gym to run a few miles. It can really help to keep you motivated and refreshed. Exercise is a great way to de-stress and stay in shape.

4. Take yourself on a date

A solo date might be just the thing you need to help you feel like a million bucks. Take yourself out to a movie you’ve been wanting to see or take in some art at a museum. It’s easy to push these things off and wait until a friend can go with you, but it can be super empowering to go out on your own and do something you know you’ll enjoy.

5. Read a Book /Watch a Show

Finding the time to watch your favorite Netflix show or read the new book you just bought can be impossible some days. Making these activities a priority will help you focus on your mental health and give you a nice break from homework or other projects.

6. Pick up a New Hobby/Rediscover an Old One

Was there a time when you could play the piano or knit a scarf? Try an old hobby that you used to enjoy and see if you might want to pick it up again. If it doesn’t work out, try finding a new hobby that you’ve always been interested in. Having a fun activity that you can use as a stress reliever is a great way to prioritize “me time.”

7. Journal your feelings

There are times when no amount of relaxing activities can help to clear your mind. Try grabbing a journal and writing down how you feel. Sometimes we just need to get our thoughts out onto paper so that we can move on with our day. It is super important to be honest with yourself about how you are feeling and doing this regularly is a great way to practice self-care.

Cover Photo: 1,

Photo Credit: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,

Hi, I'm Olivia! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh pursuing a major in Neuroscience, minors in Spanish, Africana Studies, and Chemistry, and a certificate in Global Health! In my free time you can find me at the gym, listening to a podcast, or hanging out with my friends!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt