nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Simple Ways To Reduce Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Whether it’s keeping up with schoolwork or stepping outside of your comfort zone, no one likes the stress that follows. While some amount of stress can drive you to get things done, too much of it can be deleterious to your health and can cause headaches, upset stomach, anxiety, lack of focus, and depression. However, there are many simple ways to reduce stress and increase mindfulness, which will allow you to focus on the present, rather than stress about past or future events.

1. Zen tangle 

My favorite way to de-stress is zentangling, which is essentially “doodling,” but in a more structured way. The great part about this method of drawing is that no artistic ability is necessary for your design to turn out amazing.

One way to start zentangling for beginners is to first draw a rectangle that takes up almost an entire piece of paper. That will be your drawing space. Next, using pencil, start at one edge of the rectangle and draw a continuous series of loops. The loops can be different sizes and go in different directions. Now you can begin drawing different patterns in all of the different spaces you created with a pen.

2. Coloring books

If doodling isn’t really your thing but you still want to relax through creating art, invest in some adult coloring books. They are very popular these days and include many intricate designs, such as mandalas. However, you could always print individual coloring sheets online if you prefer that instead.

3. The Listing Game

A surprisingly fun and effective method to practice mindfulness and reduce stress is to think of a topic then list 100 things that go along with it. The first 25 tend to be easy to think of, but as the list expands it becomes more difficult to list things, causing you to really focus all of your attention on the activity and nothing else.

For example, you could list 100 things that you could fit in your pocket, or 100 things that are red, etc. Feel free to allow your other stressed out friends to participate in this activity.

4. Progressive muscle relaxation 

PMR is a great way to reduce anxiety and stress, especially if you can’t seem to calm down. First practice deep breathing if you feel too overwhelmed to start relaxing and begin when you’re ready. There are many progressive muscle relaxation videos online; some short, some long depending on your mood. Essentially, you will tense up all major muscle groups of your body, beginning with your feet and progressing upwards, then release the tension. Another similar way to relax is passive muscle relaxation.

5. Distract yourself

While all methods listed above are different ways to distract yourself from stressors, there are many other ways you can distract. Journaling, listening to music, resting, watching funny videos, and self-soothing techniques are all great ways to shift your attention away from stressors.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Azeen is a Biology Major at University of Pittsburgh. She is excited to share her passion for fitness, food, and beauty in her writing and is super excited to be a part of the HerCampus team.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt