kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Pressure is On, but it Doesn’t Have to be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

It’s your senior year of high school and everyone is telling you that “college is fun”, “you are young”, and to “enjoy yourself” in this transition stage between childhood and adulthood. Then, all of a sudden, it’s Winter Break of your first year of college and your grandma wants to know if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend, your cousins want to know if you go to parties and drink *gasps* alcohol, your parents want to know what you are going to do for the rest of your life, but you aren’t even sure if you want to wash your hair that night. The pressure is on. But, I am here to tell you that college is STILL fun, you are STILL young, and you can STILL enjoy yourself. 

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

When I came to Pepperdine I was a Sports Medicine major with an Accounting minor. In the first month of school I added a second major, Philosophy. By the second month, I dropped my Sports Medicine major. By the second semester, I dropped my Accounting minor. Sophomore year I added an Italian minor and an almost Psychology minor. And now, in my Junior year, I am about to drop my Italian minor. To add that up for you, I have changed my major/minor six times since I started college. SIX! I came to Pepperdine with the hopes of being an orthopedic surgeon or physical therapist, but my Chemistry class had other plans for me. I wanted to be able to have some sort of accounting degree like the rest of my family, but my own interests did not line up. I wanted to be fluent in Italian, but I could not handle the excessive amount of classes all at once. Now, I want to be a marriage/family therapist and be a group fitness trainer. My entire life “plan” fell apart over and over again these last two years, but my happiness only increased.

If I can rearrange my life course six times in two years and survive the concern from anyone and everyone around me, you can too. I could even graduate early with the degrees I (currently) want. Date when you want to, be social when you want to, and change your mind when you want to, because, trust me, you have plenty of time to figure it all out. Boyfriends and girlfriends can wait, parties are not the only way to enjoy yourself, and, most importantly, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE YOUR LIFE FIGURED OUT.

Emma Thomasson

Pepperdine '21

Hello! My name is Emma. I am a student at Pepperdine University and I am studying Philosophy with the hopes of obtaining my MFT license after I graduate in 2021. I was born in Houston, Texas, and raised in Waco, Texas. That being said, I am avid supporter of Baylor sports and TexMex! I believe mental health is the most important thing to maintain in college. Some ways that I maintain mine include (but are not limited to) boxing, Disney, and beach days with my friends out here in Malibu!