This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

This past year has been a roller coaster of emotions! The pandemic has changed the way I act, think and operate. I gained new perspectives and learned quite a bit about myself. 

Mental health has become more than pampering myself with skincare, baths and candles. To me, mental health starts with setting boundaries, understanding my limits, and becoming aware of what causes me pain. 

Here are some tips to get your mental health on track:

1. Journal your thoughts, concerns and goals. 

2. Breathe deeply and with intention.

3. Eat and drink well! Eat to replenish your body and supply it with the fuel it needs. 

4. Say no! If you’re tired or need some time to sit back and relax, do it! Set those boundaries and try to understand what your limits are! 

5. Deliberately set time to be alone and tap into your inner spirit. Our world of readily accessible information and social media platforms can make us feel overwhelmed, so ditch the phone and enjoy your surroundings! 

This ongoing pandemic has changed many of our lives, and we can choose how we want to go forward. Although we can’t control everything that happens to us, we can control how we react. 

Wishing you a beautiful and blessed year, you got this!

Pearl Vaid

Pepperdine '22

Pearl Vaid is a licensed esthetician in Los Angeles, California, a social media consultant, and a business student currently attending Pepperdine University. She spends her free time at the beach and blogging.
Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!