This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Have you ever wanted to start working out in the weight training area of the gym? Well, I did too, but it can be very intimidating. It’s not easy to just go pick up some random 15-pound weights, right next to the huge guy lifting 100+ pounds, making you look and feel tiny and like you don’t belong. Yes, it is more fun to go into the unknown areas of the gym with a friend and mess around. However, I wanted to actually know how to lift weights and become stronger, not just go do random machines for an hour and leave just as confused as I did when I got to the gym that day.

This term I started a weight training class for beginners. This is a co-ed class where there would be no judgment of how weak anyone was. We have been taught basic weight lifting moves along with the proper techniques, as well as a fun way to track your progress. For example, on the assisted pull-up machine, I started out needing 100 pounds of help. Yes, my upper body strength was zero. Now I only need 60 pounds of help, which is a 40-pound improvement. Success! I am so much closer to my goal of doing one pull up with no help at all, and if I can do it so can you!

Some simple tips for weight lifting are:

• Start out light! Start out with less weight and build up over time

• Build up weight slowly, once every couple weeks is a good goal

• Only add weight in 5-10 pound increments when adding (avoid straining or pulling a muscle)

• Start out by doing the basic set and reps- three sets of ten repetitions on each side

• Some easy weight training exercises are squats, weighted squats, bench press, assisted pull ups, press up, push press up, deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, back row, and lat pulldown (these are just a good list of moves to start out with)

If you decide you want to use a similar method and don’t know how to do the moves properly, just go ask one of the fitness people at your gym. You can even look up how to do things on YouTube. I hope this helps any of you who are thinking of getting into weight training, it’s really fun!

Hi there! I'm glad you made it to my page! My name is Gillian George, and I am a junior/incoming senior at the University of Oregon. I am currently getting into the Advertising program of the Journalism Major and have a minor of business. Writing and photography are my two biggest passions in life, I have been taking portriats for  a few years now and I am trying to create a small business out of it! I love talking to people and helping people with any sort of situation. I grew up surrounded by my family who all work in the medical field, and I enjoy educating people on womens health so if you have any questions feel free to ask away! I also love food, traveling, and a good mystery television show or movie!
The official Her Campus Oregon account