stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Self Care During a Political Revolution: Told By Leslie Knope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Editor’s Note: All articles for Her Campus OR State are the opinions and beliefs of the writers and do not reflect Her Campus OR State, the Oregon State University or Her Campus as an international magazine

It is extremely clear that in today’s society we are in the midst of a political revolution. I know it is extremely difficult to not turn on the news, or open your facebook, and not want to go out and protest everything that is happening. An increasing amount of people are devoting more and more of their time everyday to participate in some movement. There is so much happening at every moment of the day that it almost seems like if I take a break for one moment, I’ll miss something. Then, when I do take a break, I feel guilty, like I am not doing enough. If other people are out there why aren’t I?

And while I encourage you to continue your fight, there are some self care tips that you must remember if you want to be successful.  

1. DO NOT FORGET TO EAT

*Whether it’s waffles or not it doesn’t matter just make sure you eat something.

(But we recommend waffles)

2. DO NOT FORGET TO DRINK WATER (…or a beer)

*Make sure you are always hydrated with water, but we understand if you need a beer every once in awhile.

3. DO NOT FORGET TO SLEEP

*9 hours in 4 days is not enough so make sure you are getting a good night’s rest to power you forward in the resistance.

4. UNPLUG FROM SOCIAL MEDIA

*You don’t need to throw your phone against a wall, but maybe turn it off for an hour everyday and calm your mind.

5. HAVE A QUIET MOMENT WITH YOURSELF TO THINK

*Sit with your thoughts for a moment. There is a lot going on and it’s a lot to take in, but having a moment to process without all the noise will do you some good.

6. DO PHYSICAL SELF CARE

*Shower, brush your teeth, brush your hair, paint your nails, do your makeup, get a facial. Do things for your physical body that make you feel good.

7. HAVE A GOOD CRY

*Sometimes we all need a good cry. Remember to crying is not a sign of weakness, but of strength. Sometimes a good cry allows us to let go of some things.

8. PRACTICE SELF LOVE

*In a world of hate remember to love, and that includes loving yourself.

9. SPEND TIME WITH THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE AND LOVE YOU BACK

*You aren’t in this alone. You have people who love you and want to support you. Remember that.

Take care, collegiettes! 

Justyn is a Senior at Oregon State University studying Political Science: Pre Law. Justyn's motto is Head in Corvallis, Heart in Seattle. She loves anything PNW, especially the rainy fall reason. You can almost always find her on campus in a pant suit, or rocking a blazer around. Justyn enjoys baking Drake themed cakes, or cooking shabbat dinner for the Jewish organization on campus. She is just a Jewish queen trying to start a political revolution!
Katherine Borchers is a Junior at Oregon State University and is majoring in Digital Communication Arts. She is involved on campus with Res Life and So Worth Loving at Oregon State. You can find her procrastinating real life responsibilities, drinking coffee, and procrastinating some more. When she procrastinates, she loves to sing loudly (not well, either), read books, and do artsy-fartsy stuff.