Revision Break Body Blast: Build On Your Beach Bod!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The sun is slowly, but surely, creeping its way out from behind the clouds and summer is on its way; time to start getting into a routine of fitting workouts around your exams and workload so you feel confident and happy for cider-drinking days with a BBQ, – I’m already excited!

Now, to get a full body workout, you need to involve all your muscles. The sequences below will get your heart racing and your body sweating – how you will be in a few months when you lift your finger for another sip of Pimms.

If you’re head down doing revision and coursework, fit them in during a 15 minute break from using all that brain power.

None of the exercises actually use weights, but you can always harden any exercises, for example holding weights whilst you squat. If you don’t have any dumbbells, use water bottles; they work just the same and you can always pour away the liquid if they feel too heavy (or buy a bigger bottle, of course).

Here is your first sequence:

1. Start with squats; widen your feet to just exceed the width of your shoulders and do 20. Then go straight into 15 jumping squats. Use your arms for momentum and to reach further off the ground.

2. Rest for 30 seconds. Remember to drink some water.

3. After this, start with your left, or right leg, in front and do 15 lunges. Once this is finished, switch your leg positioning and do 15 more on the opposite leg. When complete, go straight into jumping lunges. Bring your left, or right leg in front, bending your back leg down towards the ground and then, instead of lifting yourself up, jump and switch your leg positioning; land down on the opposite leg in front and do the same as above.

Repeat the above actions, in this order, three times.

For the next series:

Start with a crab walk. This includes getting onto the floor with your tummy facing upwards, and your palm and feet firmly on the ground. Make sure you are in a room with space to move from one wall to another (not a small room); and run back and fourth. Don’t sit down in between and try not to trip over your limbs. Go back and fourth for a minute.

Secondly, turn over into press up position and go straight into ten full press-ups – if you do lady press ups with your knees on the ground, try and do fifteen or more.

Repeat this sequence so that you complete each exercise three times.

The final exercises:

Include planks, sprints and mountain climbers. For planks, place your elbows and toes on the floor, keeping your body completely straight – you could balance a plate on your bum. Stay in this position for a minute.

Following this, get outside into the fresh air and do ten second sprints up and down your road, garden or even inside if you don’t want to leave the house, for a minute also.

Once you’ve finished, move into the position for mountain climbers. Place your hands firmly on the ground in front of you and your feet on the floor with your body arched; if I were to look at you, you’d be in the shape of an upside down ‘V.’ Move your knees into your chest, one at a time, so you’re running into your chest, basically. Keep going until you’ve done 50 reps (one knee is one rep).

As above, repeat the sequence to complete each exercise three times.

If you’re feeling extra powerful and strong, try and do the whole thing – all three sequences – three times in total. It’s the first step to get your already-beach-bod into an everybody-stop-and-stare beach bod.

You’ll need a break from work at some point in the day, so get your gear on and let’s start getting ready for the sun!

Edited by Ili Mustafa

I am a third year student at the University of Nottingham studying English with Creative Writing. I love to travel, read, swim, keep fit, and listen to music. In my spare time, I enjoy meeting up with my friends and family to watch films or go for drinks.Follow me on twitter @gabyblock 
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!