nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Being Unapologetically Loud About Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Due to my own ongoing experience with mental illness, I am quite active on the subject of mental health, and as well as my own research and articles, I follow many mental health charities and blogs. What I have noticed through my interest in mental health is that although we as a society are generally  becoming more open on the topic of mental health, this is not implementing actual positive change in the treatment of mental illness by the government. In fact, quite the opposite is happening.

In this article I write frankly about sensitive issues, in order to highlight my opinion that we must all be loud about mental health, to raise the volume of the conversation about mental health until it becomes impossible to ignore, and to try to make positive changes for ourselves that we are not being provided.

The treatment of mental illness by the government is awful. Millions of pounds have been cut from the mental health budget by the government, and in recent reports it was revealed that half of local NHS bodies are being forced reduce their mental health services this year. I have my own experience of this, when in November I experienced the worst clinical depression I have ever had. I was completely unable to function, was signed off from uni by the doctors and I was obsessed by suicidal thoughts.

As my medication was not working I was referred for a course of CBT. The initial assessment was over the phone (which already indicates the way the strain on these services are impacting patients – as anyone with mental illness can probably vouch for, that having to discuss the extent of your mental illness via a phone call is a particularly uncomfortable experience). I was assessed, and received a letter the next week on my results.

My PHQ9 (depression score) came back as 19 out of 20, and my GAD7 (anxiety score) came back as 16 out of 20. These scores showed that I was almost at the top of the scale for both depression and anxiety, but this still did not mean that any quick action could be taken for me. I was told I would be put on the waiting list for 6 CBT sessions and would be contacted in the new year to arrange them. This was mid November, and now at the end of January I still have not been contacted. This personal example shows that right now, you can be considered at the worst point possible in terms of your mental health, but still help is not able to be provided.

Obviously, we must continue to advocate for huge changes to be made in the provision of mental health services, but until then there are things that can be done on a smaller scale. I still know of many people who have mental illnesses but are afraid to tell their family or friends, and I think it is so important to break this. In my own experience over the last couple of years I have become more and more ‘loud’ about my mental illness- and now feel no shame or embarrassment talking about it with almost anyone. It’s part of who I am, and I am proud of myself.

In terms of making small changes to help ourselves, I think that being ‘loud’ about my mental illness has genuinely saved my life. Through talking about my mental illness – both online through my social media, and in day to day life – I have found a community that has supported me so much. This takes all sorts of forms, from just tweeting to see if anyone has experienced something similar in terms of mental health that is currently affecting me (9 times out of 10 the answer is yes), to making amazing friends from people I only vaguely knew before I decided to share my opinions.

So often people message me about one of my articles, or something I have posted on my twitter, and it genuinely feels so special to connect with other people on this subject. Knowing you are not alone is one of the most important things when it comes to surviving mental illness – and this being ‘loud’ has provided this for me. Sharing experiences, stories and coping tips is such a simple idea, but it can honestly make all of the difference.

Talking more about mental illness also helps reduce stigma and misunderstandings in the people you interact with in everyday life, like family and friends. Uncomfortable conversations are necessary sometimes in order to help someone understand more about mental illness, and to be able to look out for you in the way you need. I know that everyone’s circumstances are different, and this can be complicated for some, but in my own experience being open with my family about my illness has helped me so much in them being able to support me. Knowing I don’t have to hide, and I am able to express what I am going through when I am at home has honestly been such as relief. If it’s possible for you I really recommend trying it.

We must all continue to fight for better provisions for mental illness, so sign any petition you see, sign up to various mental health charities, and keep yourself informed on what is going on (importantly, stay ANGRY about the current treatment of mental illness). Alongside these attempts for change to mental health services, I can’t recommend enough making your own small changes such as reaching out to people on the subject of mental illness if you are struggling. You may also find you are helping someone else as well as yourself, which is a pretty great thing.

Edited by Isabelle Walker

Images

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuHV1foWgAA9Iuy.jpg

Sources

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nhs-mental-health-services-funding-government-accused-empty-promises-a7955881.html

https://twitter.com/makedaisychains/status/784142933519921152

Student at the University of Nottingham studying English and French. Spending a year in France doing sport, sailing and marketing.