Wellness

My September Self-Care: Obvious and Hidden Gems on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’ve had several epiphanies since arriving on campus for my first semester of freshman year: things take time, talking on the phone is better than texting, social media is a lie, give people a chance (to name a few). Yet one of the biggest revelations for me has been one that should have come long before college: the importance of self-care. As amazing as it is to succeed academically and expand your social circles—I advocate and strive for both—making time for yourself is just as, if not more, important. The following is a list of places and activities on campus that I’ve found in this first month to be rewarding and relaxing for the self:

Restorative Spaces in McWell

I cannot emphasize this one enough. You’ve probably seen or heard of McWell once or twice—whether it was on a Moreau tour or on a trip to St. Liam’s for antibiotics—but I’ve been told that students rarely make enough use of it. McWell has a myriad of resources for students, including four rooms called “restorative spaces” where students are free to relax, nap and study by easy online reservation. There are snacks, tea, essential oils and painting as well. Get more information here!

The Grotto

This one is much more obvious but the fact that people know about the Grotto doesn’t mean that they make it there as often as they want to. I already feel like I don’t have enough time to get there but I’m getting into a weekly post-dinner Grotto routine with a close friend of mine. Make time for it – it’s worth it! Whether you’re religious or not, the Grotto can be a beautiful place to pray, reflect, think, clear one’s head and have a moment of peace whether alone or in the company of friends.

3rd Floor of Duncan Student Center followed by Hagerty Family Café

I’m about the farthest you can get from athletically inclined, but I’ve found that exercise can be an incredible stress reliever. I never thought this would be me, but now if I ever feel overwhelmed by work, I channel that stress into working hard on the treadmill or elliptical and burning it off. I’ve developed a routine of working out on the 3rd floor of Duncan (also known as the Smith Center for RecSports) and following it up with a Jamaican Jammer smoothie from Hagerty Family Café. One of the best smoothies I’ve ever had. RIP my Flex Points.

Museum in the Basilica

When you walk into the Basilica and all the way down the aisle, take a left and keep walking. You’ll stumble upon a hidden gem: the Basilica’s museum! This quiet room contains so many incredible artifacts including chalices, monstrances, and vestments of Fathers Sorin and Hesburgh. If you ever find yourself on a visit to the Basilica, which should be on this list anyway, stop by this spot to experience a space of authentic beauty and history.

The four campus spots mentioned only scratch the surface of the amazing places and resources available all over campus. I can’t wait to discover more in the weeks, months and years to come!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Callie Whelan

Notre Dame '23

Callie is a first-year International Economics/French major and Computing & Digital Technologies minor at Notre Dame originally from Ridgefield, Connecticut. In her limited free time, Callie loves to paint, draw, read, force herself to work out, and spend time with friends and family. She loves mac and cheese, pastel colors, mocking both sides of the political aisle, John Mulaney, and proper grammar.