Ways to Reinvent Yourself this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

“We have to keep reinventing ourselves, almost every minute, because the world can change in an instant” – Meredith Grey, Grey’s Anatomy.

As stated by Ellen Pompeo’s character, Meredith Grey, on the medically specialized show Grey’s Anatomy, the world is constantly changing. “Medicine is constantly reinventing itself” and we must also change and reinvent ourselves. The world changed overnight.

With the current situation we find ourselves in, we need to adapt to the current rules and manners of living in order to help save lives. While adapting simply based on environmental changes is an important trait – that has kept many of our ancestors and us alive – the idea of reinventing ourselves during these changing times needs a different approach. The Cambridge dictionary definition of reinvention is “to produce something new that is based on something that already exists.” The time we have on our hands gives us the opportunity to analyze ourselves as we are, but it also gives us the freedom to explore what we can become.

Now, let’s look at ways to create the best versions of ourselves.

1. Look back at the ways you have lived

You have gone through a lot in your life. Now fully reflect on the life you have lived. It is time to look inward, to look at the bad, the good, the ugly, and the great. Analyze your strengths and weaknesses. Write about your disappointments, shortcomings, triumphs, and happy moments. Look at what you’ve been through and be proud of yourself. Every struggle you’ve had, you came out on top. That should give you the encouragement to continue on recreating the best version of yourself.

2. Envision the life you want

Envisioning the life you want can bring inspiration and motivation to reinvent yourself. What are your short-term goals, long-term goals, mental health goals, career goals, school goals, social life goals, and self-care goals? Write those down and reflect on what achieving those goals would mean to you. Then envision moments that you would like to see in your life. These moments could be morning drives to see the sunrise, road trips around the country, learning a new technological skill, making a new friend at a bookshop, acing the toughest course at your university, and many more.

3. Create a mood board or vision board

Create a mood board or vision board that reflects and illustrates the life that you want. Look for the places you would like to visit, the food you would like to learn how to cook – or simply devour – the books you want to read, and the skills you want to learn.

4. Learn something new about yourself

Learning about yourself in different ways can provide insights that can help you lead a life where you are self-aware and confident. There are many platforms, such as astrology, that can provide you with knowledge of the complexity of your birth chart. You can look at the traits your star sign embodies and compare them to whom you consider yourself to be. The Myers-Briggs test can provide you with knowledge of yourself in a lighthearted way. There are many quizzes and platforms that provide fun and exciting opportunities to get to know yourself, no matter what your belief on their accuracy lies. These platforms are to be taken lightheartedly but with the purpose of providing you with self-knowledge.

5. Learn something new about the world

We have a lot of time in our hands to learn about the world around us. Many of us have access to the internet, which is a great privilege, considering some people around the world still do not have reliable internet access. We have the opportunity to learn different languages that connect us to new cultures and learn about countries that you would like to visit. Another way to effectively take this skill to a new level is to learn about the ways a career you are interested in pursuing is developed in other countries. For example, as a woman intending to pursue a medical career, I look at situations of how women are treated in the medical field in countries I would like to visit. I’m then inspired to volunteer in those countries instead of simply visiting as a tourist. That knowledge and motivation will lead me to become the confident woman I envision myself to be.

6. Explore different genres

Another way to reinvent yourself is to give yourself the freedom and space to expand your horizons in terms of music, movies, podcasts, books, anime, and many other things. Try listening to music or watching movies that you would never listen to or watch before. Then, decide how you feel about it without outside opinions. This would probably lead to you liking something you’d never imagine yourself liking but will reinforce your confidence in the person you’re becoming.

7. Find a muse that inspires you

Finding a person who’s lived a life that inspires you is a positive motivator. You will be able to look at that person and remind yourself of the ways they inspire you and why you want to live a life similar to them.

8. Change up your look

Rock the hairstyle or hair color you’ve always wanted to do but were too scared to try. Buy those shoes that you’ve always secretly liked but were too  afraid  to get because of how bold they were. Buy the dress you’ve always wanted to have in your closet even if there is not an occasion to wear it to. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone can reveal a deeper truth. We are given this time to explore ourselves, so why not become the best versions of ourselves?

9. Finally, take care of yourself

Although this quarantine time is the perfect moment to develop new skills and new hobbies to become the best version of yourself, it is important to remember to take care of yourself. Create a routine that gives you time to focus on yourself and your needs. It is the perfect time for you to fully develop a self-loving attitude and a fresh lifestyle that you deserve.

Daniela Bondekwe is a sophomore at Michigan State University majoring in Neuroscience with a minor in Film Studies and Italian. She enjoys hiking, making videos, trying different foods at different cities, and astrology.