This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Picture this: you are laying in bed, your body aching because you haven’t had the energy to get up yet. You know you have a class to be at, but no matter how hard you try to push yourself, it doesn’t feel like enough.

This is something I deal with all too often. Know that it is okay to struggle, and it’s even more okay to ask for help. When I’m struggling, I usually roll around in my bed until everything aches too much to bear. Stretching while rolling around can help get the blood flowing and give you some motivation to move from your bed. 

You’ve left your bed now, which is a great sign. Go to the bathroom. I know this is another task that you may not feel like doing, but it’s better to flush out your system than get a UTI. If you have to take meds, take them with you to the bathroom and use water from the faucet to help them go down. If you feel like you have no more energy for the day, that’s okay. Be proud of yourself for getting this far and go lay on the floor or the couch. Make yourself comfortable and relax. Relaxing only happens if you give yourself room to breathe. You aren’t relaxing if you are stressing about class work. Everything will still be there when you are done taking a moment to yourself. 

If you choose to keep going about your day, eat something. Getting some kind of sustenance into your body can help you stay alert while doing activities. After snacking, maybe take a shower. I understand that it can take a lot of energy, but grab your things and sit on the floor of the shower. Stay there as long as you need and take as much time as you need. When you are done, you can continue your day in any way that you want. This could be nothing, or it could be a day of adventure. 

Having mental illnesses can make every task feel like you are climbing a mountain. It’s hard, tiring, and maybe even scary. Taking time to give yourself the space to go through each step will help kickstart you. Our minds are not always the kindest place to be, but having a war zone in your head doesn’t mean there is one outside. Ask a friend for a hug or a listening ear. Reach out to resources like CAPS or online therapy. We all have to remember to take care of our minds as well as our bodies. Always remember that as alone as you may feel in your darkest times, the truth is you are not alone. You are loved and cared for more than you may be able to comprehend. 

Personally, I struggle with my mental health. I have dealt with more than I believe people should at the young age of 18. Talking to others helps me get through anything I’m feeling. You can talk to your RA, your roommate, your friends, your parents, and maybe even an animal if you have one. I am lucky enough to have a cat that makes day-to-day life easier. Getting out of bed can be hard, but if your pet relies solely on you, you have to feed them, water them, and give them attention. Taking care of my cat can be much more important than taking care of myself. Do what you can. Even if it’s the littlest thing, do your best and be proud of yourself for making an effort, whether it is big or small. While the world may seem scary and hard, remember there is always someone in your corner.

Asterius Lenz is a sophomore with a passionate interest in psychology, hoping to work with LGBTQ+ youth in the future. One of the highlights of their college experience is their role as a staff writer for Her Campus, where they're eager to contribute their thoughts and insights. Beyond their academic pursuits, Asterius is a devoted advocate for mental health and the queer community. Identifying as trans, he has a deep commitment to being the representation they've longed for and didn't see growing up in a small town. He hopes that this will help the future LGBTQ+ children on their journey of self-discovery and self-love. In his free time, when not immersed in psychology classes, Asterius gravitates towards courses related to cinema and the arts, fueling their love for creative expression. However, when they step away from the classroom, they enjoy a variety of activities. His interests include watching TV and musicals, listening to music, engaging in crafting projects, and taking care of their beloved companion, Dior. Dior is a remarkable two-year-old cat who serves as an Emotional Support Animal and embodies the charming yet feisty personality often associated with cats—a trait playfully referred to as "tortitude.”