This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

TW: Mentions of relapse, mental health crises, and other potentially triggering mental health topics

In a time of virtual everything, it can be hard to not feel alone. A screen cannot replace true human interaction, no matter how much we think it does. The pandemic has taken a toll on all of us, both physically and mentally, creating a belief that we may not be as much as we believed we are. But we are not alone. As we fight this pandemic together, it is important to stop for a minute and talk about our mental health. After all, we’re all in this together.

First, let’s start with the stigma around asking for help. Asking for help is never a bad thing, but we have been conditioned to believe it is a sign of weakness. When we are struggling, we think we can handle it on our own, fight through it, and move on. This is not always the case. In fact, it is very unrealistic to believe that an individual can fight through everything on their own. Asking for help, especially when you are in a bad place mentally, is one of the most powerful things you can do. Admitting that you cannot fight off the bad by yourself and reaching out for support and help from others is the best thing you can do to help yourself. It is not shameful, but shows that you are powerful enough to fight the stigma and work to help yourself.

Building off of this is the stigma surrounding therapy. Another form of asking for help is deciding to start a potentially longterm journey through therapy. Therapy is not a sign of weakness; it is a sign of strength and power. You are actively working to better yourself and fight for yourself, and that is absolutely amazing! You should be so proud of yourself for reaching out and taking that step into your journey towards recovery!

Second, it is important to remember that recovery is not linear. There is no straight path that takes you from struggling to perfection. You will face unexpected twists and turns, but it matters not how many turns you face, but how you recover from those turns. Relapsing is a part of recovery, and while it may feel like the end of recovery when it happens, I promise you it is not. Your path to recovery is not the same as mine, as your friends, as your peers, as anyones’. Do not judge your recovery by the rate of someone else.

Third, it is important to remember that you are worthy of all the love in the world. I like to think of it this way: Imagine that you are a child walking down the street with a parent, guardian, or friend. You, as that child, see yourself as you are right now and think, “That person is so cool!” Imagine how many kids have looked at you and thought, “Wow they are so cool! Imagine how many people have seen you in passing and then thought about you for the rest of the day, hoping they cross paths with you again. These tiny, meaningless interactions that you may not even recognize happened are happening every day. Even if you don’t see it, there are total strangers who love to see you in the least creepy way possible.

At the end of the day, it can feel like the world is crushing you. Believe me, I know. I’ve been in the same place as so many others, but at the time, it felt like no one felt how I felt. I know now that I was not alone at all. During one of the worst times for my mental health in high school, I learned that I had helped a friend feel loved and accepted, encouraging them to be their true self without even knowing it. When I felt like such a burden, I was the saving light for others.

You are not a burden. You are a saving light, whether you know it or not. You are loved by so many, and if you choose to not believe that, just know that at the end of the day you will always be loved by me. I know it doesn’t mean much, having some random college student saying they love you, but it’s true. I love you, and I am so proud of you. It will get better. I promise.

If you or a loved one are experiencing a mental health crisis, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255

TrevorLifeline (LGBTQ+ Crisis Lifeline): 1-866-488-7386

Grace is a Zoology major with a pre-veterinary concentration. She plans on becoming a Zoo Veterinarian, preferably at Disney's Animal Kingdom or the Australia Zoo. She enjoys activism, exploring nature, thrifting, and consuming excessive amounts of iced coffee. Grace likes to paint, watch anime, take care of plants, and obsess over frogs, cats, raccoons and possums in her free time.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.