This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I started practicing yoga at the start of the pandemic, when things were even more uncertain than they are now. I needed a release for my emotions and time to just sit with my thoughts while doing something that was seemingly “good for me”. Quarantine was the perfect time to take up this new hobby. 

Since then, I have fallen back into lazy habits quite a few times, often going weeks without taking out my yoga mat. Life got busy during the holidays, anxiety was high, and the pandemic raged on, leading me to neglect myself and put less time towards self-care, which I am not very proud of. 

I realized very quickly that these high-stress times were exactly when I needed yoga the most. I was working ten to twelve-hour shifts five days a week, struggling to find the balance between personal time and working retail during the holiday season. Stress was eating me up and fears of contracting COVID certainly did not make things any easier. I found it extremely hard to go into work with a smiling face and treat customers with genuine kindness when I hadn’t been particularly kind towards myself in quite a while. 

I decided to take out my yoga mat and start over. I was definitely rusty — I hadn’t practiced in weeks (maybe a month), and while yoga is not always a “use it or lose it” skill, my body was sore and I could feel all of the weight and stress that I was carrying as soon as I leaned into the child’s pose. However, after just twenty minutes of following along with a Youtube video, I felt less heavy and anxious. I went into work with a smile and felt airier throughout the day, and my coworkers made sure to point out that I didn’t seem as high-strung. 

I then declared yoga a part of my morning routine. No matter what time I had to work in the morning, I decided I would wake up at whatever time allowed me to spend this time on myself. I am now a little over a month into this everyday commitment, and the changes that have come with it are incredible. 

Yoga has allowed me the opportunity to surprise myself. As I stretch myself into new poses, a newfound sense of pride washes over me — pride in myself, and in my body, which proves to me every day that I am capable of things I was completely unaware of before. As different poses and exercises become easier, I am forced to recognize the progress that I am making. 

Yoga lends me the opportunity to spend time connecting with my body each morning. As someone that has struggled with body image issues for most of my life, it serves as an important reminder of all of the things that my body does for me, no matter what it looks like.

Yoga also allows me to spend time with my thoughts. I follow an important rule — when I am on my mat, I let go of the day before that moment and I set aside all of the tasks and things I have to accomplish later in the day. I simply let myself be present and enjoy a half-hour of a clear mind. Afterward, I am less anxious and much more ready for the day ahead. I feel myself being kinder towards others, kinder towards myself, and I take on the day at a much more relaxing pace. 

My commitment to a daily yoga routine quite literally gets me out of bed in the morning. It has become a practice that I rely on and a hobby that I truly enjoy, though I would have seriously never envisioned this for myself a year ago. 

Yoga has something to offer to everyone, whether it be a workout, a healthy stretch, or a moment of mediation. If life seems a little hectic or anxiety-inducing for you right now, I encourage you to take out your mat and start flowing.

MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.