breakfast brunch toast granola food
breakfast brunch toast granola food
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness

Go-To College Friendly Recipes and Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Bhavya’s Take:

Living in an off-campus apartment means I get to have an amazing kitchen, however, I’ve had to learn to cook and meal prep. I’ve struggled to figure out how to prepare meals every day and manage the time to do so since my mom always had something ready back home. Here are some of my quick favorites that have worked for me: 

1. Rice bowl: This is literally my go-to and it’s super filling! Add rice, soy sauce, black beans (I usually buy the canned ones), tangy mayonnaise, sriracha, and a runny egg topped off with some avocado. 
  2. A classic wrap: I love this one so much. Add in some fresh avocado with Asian sesame dressing, salt, red chili flakes, all bagel seasoning, lemon juice, cheese, chicken slices, green bell peppers, tomatoes, and any other veggies you have! Toast on a pan and voila
  3. Avocado toast: This is a staple and you can never go wrong. Here is how I elevate mine! Spread some avocado with lemon juice, mix in some salt before spreading, and top it off with red chili flakes and all bagel seasoning. I like to add an egg on top of mine or side it with scrambled eggs. 
  4. Bagel sandwich: For bagel lovers, I’ve got you! Toast your bagel, spread avocado on one side with salt, lemon juice, red chili flakes, all bagel seasoning, cheese,  a runny egg, and/or a chicken slice. Trust me you won’t regret it.
  5. Pasta and sausage: This one is pretty self-explanatory but is a must! Boil pasta, add in red pasta sauce, heavy cream, salt, cheese, and pepper. You’re pretty much done here, but I usually top it off with a protein (of your choice). 

Aditi’s Take: 

Living in the dorms definitely doesn’t allow for a lot of creative freedom for meals, but I have some great snack ideas that are dorm-friendly!

1. Green Apples and Peanut Butter: My roommate lives by this snack. You can take some green apples and peanut butter from the dining hall, and you have the perfect mid-afternoon snack. 
  2. Fun Popcorn: You have a microwave and a bag of popcorn, but make it fun! Add seasonings from the dining hall, sriracha for spice, or melted chocolate for some sweetness. 
  3. Yogurt and Strawberries: There is nothing better than some vanilla yogurt and fresh strawberries. A super healthy snack for a busy morning!
  4. (MSU Dairy Store) Cheese and Crackers: Do you want to munch on something healthy but delicious? Try some cheese and crackers, and support your campus dairy store!

No more starving! Remember to keep nourishing your body daily and prioritize your health. We hope this helps. 

Bhavya is the Head Director of Social Media for MSU's chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior majoring in Microbiology with a minor in Environment and Health/Bioethics. Her writing interests include: lifestyle, beauty, health, and wellness.
A Michigan State University student by day, an 8-hour sleeper by night Aditi would best describe herself as a "rather simple enigma." As she embarks on her college journey, Aditi cherishes the simple things in life: a cup of coffee, some pastel post-it notes, and her ever-growing succulent.