Wellness > Health

4 Tried and True Ways to Get Exercise in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With the end of the semester approaching, it can be very difficult to find time to exercise. While some of the tips may not be applicable to you now, definitely keep them in mind for next year! Here are some tried and true ways to keep your endorphin levels up.

1. Get a gym membership (or don’t)!

Many schools have really great exercise facilities complete with an indoor pool, basketball court, treadmills, ellipticals, weights— you name it. If going to the gym is an established activity for you — go for it! MSU offers some really great membership at the IM locations. If you’re not committed to dropping money on a membership, scope out your dorm to see if there’s a gym. It might even be just like the higher-end gym, which is a great way to save some money!

2. Look for activities sponsored by your school

One of my favorite things to do at MSU is attend the free Zumba and yoga classesoffered by the university. Doing Zumba burns hundreds of calories in just one hour and is a really fun thing to do with your friends after a long day of classes. Yoga doesn’t burn as many calories as Zumba, but it’s really nice to wind down after a long day as well. These classes are awesome— and many people don’t take advantage of the opportunity!

3. Take an actual class (and get credit for it)

If you’re looking to get credit for the exercise that you’re doing, have no fear— look into your school’s exercise classes. MSU has plenty of kinesiology courses that meet once or twice a week, and thanks to block tuition coming out in the fall, it’s a great opportunity to. From yoga to scuba diving to boxing, MSU has almost any form of exercise you can think of.

4. Take the scenic route

One of the easiest ways to get exercise in is to walk or ride your bike to class instead of taking the bus (if the weather permits, of course!). This is great for such a huge campus like MSU because there are so many great trails and things to see on the way to class. Make or find a favorite playlist, and you’ll be in class before you even know it. Side tip: take the stairs every time you see them! You’ll burn so many more calories than you think — and they add up!

Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!