Wellness

10 Tips to Beat Your Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Social media these days often leads many of us to believe (whether we realize it or not) that slumps in our moods are uncommon— which leads many to feel frustrated that we don’t always feel #blessed or #havingthetimeofmylife. However, don’t worry— I’m here to remind you that your mid-semester slump is not only normal, but also super common! This is coming from someone who has definitely had her fair share of times feeling down in the dumps but unsure if my feelings were shared by my peers and friends. 

So, without further ado, here are some tips to not only beat your slump, but also remind yourself that you are not alone and that there will be more #amazing times ahead.​

Take a deep breath

When life gets stressful, it’s easy to dive deep into your brain and begin to stress yourself out more by overthinking and overanalyzing (trust me, I’m the queen of this). If you find yourself getting into a spiral of doubt and anxiety, stop yourself and take a few deep breaths. Clear your mind and remind yourself that at the end of the day, things will work out how they’re supposed to.

Try and pinpoint the source of your slump

When you are aware of what is overwhelming you, it makes it exponentially easier to seek the help you need to pull yourself from your slump. If homework is giving you stress, seek out a study group or assistance from your professor. Sometimes, the greatest source of anxiety can come from the feeling that you’re not social enough or you don’t have enough friends. Well, if that’s the case, then perhaps a phone call or text conversation with someone you haven’t seen in awhile is just what you need to remind yourself that you are loved and cherished. Or, perhaps it’s time to find a new club to join, where you can meet new people and create new opportunities to attend fun social events. Other times, there isn’t one exact thing that causes a slump, and in that case, refer to the next tip!

Talk to a friend

Sometimes when we begin to feel very alone, a candid conversation with a friend or partner is just what we need to feel better. It’s okay to feel lonely and need a little extra validation that you are loved to get you back on track to feeling your best. You may just find out that your friend or partner is feeling the same way, and together, both of you can find comfort and healing together.

Call or visit your family

Often, as college students, going home can feel weak or like you’re running away from your problems. However, sometimes a hug from your mom and dad, and a chat with your siblings, is just what you need to feel better. Families are meant to be there for us during times when we aren’t feeling our most confident. Many times, if there are lots of things stressing you out, it is sometimes beneficial to have a long chat with your family to put things in perspective. There’s nothing like sleeping in your childhood bedroom to make you feel loved and cared for during times of stress!

Make sure you are taking care of your body and mind

This is your reminder to stay on top of your self-care routine! If you are having a particularly bad day, make sure to eat three balanced meals and drink enough water! It’s so easy to forget to take care of our bodies when we are stressed. Additionally, take some time to have a nice warm shower and throw on a face mask. Little things like this can sometimes make all the difference.

Surround yourself with things that make you happy

Feeling down in the dumps? Throw on your favorite playlist, shut your bedroom door, and jam out to your tunes! I mean -~really~ boogie down. Not only will you get your blood pumping, but during the cold fall and winter we sometimes don’t get enough exercise, which means many of the “feel-good” hormones aren’t getting released into our brain as often, which can cause us to feel anxious and stressed. After you have your shameless dance party, throw on a movie, snuggle with a stuffed animal, and make yourself a delicious cup of tea or cocoa.

Make sure you’re warm enough

Yes, this seems like a silly thing to mention, but as the days get shorter and colder, it’s important to make sure you’re dressing warm enough. Nothing puts me in a worse mood than when I’m waiting for the bus and I’m inexplicably freezing. So make sure when you’re heading out for the day to check the forecast and dress accordingly. It will make your day much easier!

Go to class

Listen, I know I sound like your mom, but if you find yourself extra stressed out about your classes, make sure you’re actually going to them! Many times, exams are based directly off of lectures, so if you go and take notes, chances are when the exam rolls around, you’ll already be confident about most of the content! Also, class is an underrated way to meet new people and make friends, so if you’re feeling lonely, class might be a great way to have some nice interactions with some new people.

Study in a social place

Note: Social, not Distracting! Some people can study with more activity around them, and if that’s you then keep reading! A great way to feel closer to the community is by studying in social spaces. This way you might run into friends and acquaintances that might help lift your mood. So pick a cozy coffee shop or study lounge and set up shop! You never know who might stop by to say hello. And, going somewhere social might inspire you to put a little more effort into your outfit or makeup, which always helps me feel more confident and inspired.

Change your path

The beauty of college is that there are so many opportunities to re-adjust your major and find new clubs and friends. All it takes is a little research, and you could find yourself discovering a whole new path that might perfectly fit your goals and aspirations. There is no shame in needing a little adjustment to get you back on track with feeling better about your academics and life in general! 

When you’re going through a slump, it is hard to see that the end of feeling down in the dumps will come. Hopefully, these tips will serve as a reminder that you are never alone in your struggles and that better times are just around the corner. You can’t have good times without bad times, and sometimes all it takes is a little reminder to take some time for yourself to get through the tough periods in order to get yourself back on a happy and healthy track.

Charlotte Krause is a senior studying to receive her bachelor’s in the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities at MSU. Her written works range from pieces on popular culture, including film reviews and curated recommendations, to articles about mental health and politics. Charlotte avidly believes that written works have the power to shape and create new lives, worlds, and identities and plans to continue contributing to the global cacophony of written works. Follow me @char_kra on Instagram!
Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.