5 Delicious Alternatives for Vegans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Tofu, veggies, beans, oh my! Whether you live a vegan lifestyle, or are currently thinking about making the transition, you must remember to keep a healthy diet. Now, by much controversy, many individuals believe that being a vegan cannot possibly be healthy because you aren’t getting enough nutrients. That is where most people are wrong; veganism is just as healthy as any other lifestyle choice, if done correctly. To be a healthy and happy vegan, you must incorporate proper nutrients, such as: vitamins, healthy fats, and sources of protein in your daily diet. Below are 5 delicious alternatives for vegans:

Tofu

Tofu is an excellent source of both calcium and protein that also helps lower high cholesterol, prevents cancer, and more. Tofu is commonly used as a meat 
substitute you can use it in practically every meal! 

Lentils

Lentil beans are also another excellent source of protein. You can use them in many types of recipes; try lentil soup or lentil and black bean tacos!

Flaxseeds

Flaxseeds are a great source of omega 3s, fatty acids, and DHA. There is recent evidence concluding health benefits such as: the reduction of heart disease, 
cancer, stroke, and diabetes. 

Almond Milk

Vegans do not incorporate dairy in their daily diet, but almond milk can be used as a source of calcium. Almond milk is much sweeter than cow milk, a 
definite plus! It is low in calories, and packed with vitamins, and minerals from the almonds. 

Kale 

Kale is a very nutritious vegetable and a great source of iron. Including this in your diet will help lower bad cholesterol, and reduce your risk of heart disease as well.