This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It is almost one month into 2021, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t still set a new year’s resolution. My suggestion? A daily, morning workout. Simply roll out of bed, throw on your tennis shoes, and get your body moving! You will start your day feeling fresh and fit and increase your energy levels throughout the day. 

The workout doesn’t have to be a crazy difficult CrossFit-body-training that makes you sweat 20 gallons of water (okay, maybe I am just being dramatic), but as long as you are getting your body moving, you are working out. Whether that be for a quick walk around your neighborhood or campus, a brisk morning jog, some light cardio, or a little yoga, you will be energizing your body and your mind, which will put you in a healthy mindset for the rest of the day. 

The endorphins released during exercise help boost your immune system and release dopamine to your brain, which makes you happy. When you exercise in the morning, you are starting off your day with a boost of not only energy, but happiness too, hopefully lifting up your mood. Early morning workouts are also shown to be better for your metabolism, which will increase endurance in future workouts and other physical activities. Your body tends to be more prepared in early morning workouts due to the fact that you just got a good nights sleep (presumably). Your muscles will be ready for the workout every morning, instead of already slightly depleted by normal use in the afternoons/evenings. 

Especially in college when procrastination is a personality trait, getting your workout out of the way first thing in the morning is crucial. You can no longer use your workouts as an excuse to put off your homework in the afternoon.. Plus, working out in the morning will boost your productivity levels throughout your day, which will make you even more inclined to get your work done (win, win, win)!

Another perk of morning workouts is that they will not interfere with your social agenda. I used to let workouts dictate when and where I could hang out with people, and there were many times when I sacrificed hanging out with my friends for my physical wellness. I found that when I started doing my workouts right after I woke up, I always had time to hang out with my friends and go to activities later in the day, and I am still able to get the exercise I want to get without giving up the friendships I have made. 

Without other time pressures interfering with your workouts, you are actually more likely to be consistent with the early morning workout routine. Finally, a resolution that sticks! While sleep may interfere with keeping yourself accountable, your mind is always going to be the thing that is holding you back, but it is also the thing that will push you forward. 

So set your alarm and get some rest, you’ve got a workout first thing tomorrow!

Ellie DeBeer

Mizzou '24

Hi! My name is Ellie, and I am excited to share stories with the public! I am interested broadcast journalism, theatre, choir, and promoting awareness for national sex education.