This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Let’s be real. Exercising is not always pretty, and it definitely isn’t easy. When you don’t do it in a while, attempting a 30 second plank can feel as challenging as running a marathon. However, keeping an exercise routine is good not only for your physical health, but your mental health as well. Here are 5 reasons you should start exercising consistently. 

Exercise helps you stay physically fit.

Sure, aesthetic isn’t everything, but if Instagram influencers have taught me one thing it is that there’s a real difference in the booty of a girl who squats. If you’re looking to shred a few pounds to get a strong, toned-looking physique, strength training will be the easiest way to give you that fit look.

Exercise gives you energy. 

I know, I know. It sounds like reverse psychology. Why would exerting that much energy boost your energy? The science is simple; exercise releases more oxygen and nutrients throughout the body, and ultimately helps increase cardiovascular health. By doing so, your endurance increases so eventually you won’t get absolutely winded going up a flight of stairs. 

Exercise helps boost and stabilize your mood.

Elle Woods wasn’t lying when she said that exercise releases endorphins that make us happy. Exercise can cause certain hormones to act more regularly to ultimately help relax us and relieve anxiety. As an added bonus, if you start exercising consistently you’ll feel more confident in yourself too. 

Exercise promotes deep sleep. 

If you’re like me, half the fun of a great day is the half that you spend sleeping (whoops). As long as you don’t workout before bedtime, exercise can actually help you fall asleep faster, and experience a longer, deeper sleep. 

Exercise can be a fun way to socialize.

Don’t let exercise be the enemy that keeps you from obtaining your fitness goals. Let it be a fun, unique way to socialize and meet new friends. Whether you meet a cute guy at the gym, bring a  friend along for a walk in the park, or start a month-long plank challenge with your best friend, exercise can be lots of fun with other people. Surround yourself with your most loyal supporters and get into a new routine together!

Again, I understand getting into a fitness routine is not easy. It takes a lot of discipline to be motivated for something so challenging, and in college it can be hard to make the time for it. However, your body and mind will love you for it! If you need encouragement, reach out to a friend!

Just another STL native studying Journalism at Mizzou. Lover of music, books, fashion, and pasta.
HC Contributer Mizzou