New Year, New You: how to balance your mental health this semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Last semester was crazy. Maybe it was just me but 21 credits, 7 hours of work, and two clubs left me the most crazy and stressed I’d ever been. After going home for winter break only to discover my already small body had lost 15 pounds because I kept on forgetting to eat I hit a wall. I realized all the stress I was experiencing was actually putting my physical health in danger. This semester my New Year’s goal was balance. It’s only been two weeks in to the semester but here’s how I’ve learned to stay sane, hopefully you can too!

Prioritize

Last semester I stretched myself too thin. As a person with ADHD, I’ve always had trouble with balance. I can’t do too much but if I do too little I become unmotivated. This semester I’m taking 16 credits, which isn’t a lot from me (I haven’t taken so little since first semester sophomore year!). 6 of those credits are from a practicum course and one credit is for yoga, leaving me with only three standard classes. This means I have enough time to work 12 hours a week and to spend on Her Campus.

If you’re already feeling overwhelmed this early in the game, go through your schedule and see what things you really need. Do you need to take all the classes you’re taking this semester? Is there a club that you feel like isn’t giving you enough of a reward for the effort? Can you survive without that extra RASM shift? Drop it, ignore any guilt you might feel, because in the end you wouldn’t be able to give it the time and attention it needs anyway. Remember a happier healthier you is better for everyone.

Get Organized!

I came home from winter break to a disgusting room. I’ve never been a clean person but right away I knew that I couldn’t relax in somewhere so cluttered. My room is still pretty disgusting and will always probably be disgusting by normal people standards, but it’s much better than it was. I’ve been tackling the mess slowly but surely whenever I have the free time and energy. I started off by purchasing bins and designating them. This is my homework bin, that’s my outerwear bin – as someone who likes to come home and throw everything on the floor these bins have actually made a world of difference.

Research different organizing techniques and try some out until you find something that works for you. Don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t work right away. Trying is half the battle and you should feel good that you’re putting in the effort.

Write it alllll down

From planners, to calendars, to journals, writing is good for the soul and the memory. During break I started journaling again. It helped me work through a lot of my feelings and prioritize my goals in life. While during school I haven’t prioritized journaling, I still get to write reflectively about my thoughts and feelings, sometimes for assignments, sometimes for Her Campus, and sometimes just because. The act of just listening to yourself, and asking yourself questions, and then recording your thoughts is just cathartic in of itself and a good way to relieve stress and start trust your inner voice more.

I’ve also always been a lover of planners. My planner is set up so that you can prioritize work and self-goals. It makes me less likely to forget assignments or appointments and also allows me to schedule time for myself and my friends.

Whether it’s sticky notes, or a planner, or a wall calendar, or a catch all journal find something that works for you and stick with it!

Work on your physical health

Drink water, eat three times a day, don’t binge eat, don’t eat only rabbit food, exercise, stretch, relax, be careful with alcohol (if you’re over 21 of course), but remember that it’s okay to let loose sometimes.

Eating is something I struggle with, mainly remembering to eat, then eating healthily. It pains me to say it, but Aramark isn’t awful this semester and if you stay away from the pizza and fries and maybe even venture over to the salad bar every once in a while your body might thank you.

My go to exercise routine is usually walking and yoga because I’m not a super athletic person and those things are accessible to me. Right now it’s cold but I still walk about 10-15 minutes to work three days a week and I have a yoga class twice a week. If you’re like me and hate the cold but also want to work on your spring break body, or just amp up your physical health try at home workouts, or checking the gym hours, If I have NPR I can handle the elliptical. Don’t forget that Good vibes (yoga club) meets at 8 Tuesday and Sunday nights.

Amp your Beauty routine

I’ve never been very into makeup, but I’ve decided to start experimenting because I liked the idea of a morning routine and of trying out new looks. Ipsy and Birch Box are great because they send you beauty products for only $10 a month. It’s fun to get a little treat every month especially one that can help you feel more confident. It’s helped me establish a more solid night and morning routine and other beauty products like special lotions, raw honey, face wash, help me feel more relaxed.

Start doing something you never feel like you have time for anymore

Whether it’s writing, playing an instrument, running, or knitting find something that rejuvenates your soul and make time for it. Before college I was obsessed with reading. I was Rory Gilmore with her 20lb bag full of books. After getting a computer, a smart phone, and living right next to all of my best friends I found faster ways to entertain myself and reading fell by the wayside. Though I really don’t have time to resume my Rory like reading habits fully, I have found that I can make some alone time to read for pleasure a few times a week, and doing so makes me feel less stressed and happier.

Early to bed early to rise makes a collegiate healthy, wealthy, and wise

Since being back I haven’t gone to bed past 11, even on weekends. It hasn’t adversely effected my socializing time and it’s made me much happier and healthier. On week days I try to go to bed by nine and wake up around 5:30. This gives me plenty of time to wake up, drink a cup of tea, work out, read a book, or get a jump start on my homework.

Obviously waking up at 5:30 isn’t the best for everyone, but no matter what time you go to bed try to make sure your getting enough sleep and that you’re maintaining a schedule where you don’t have to start your day off by rushing. Make sure your leaving time for self-reflection and relaxation. 

Harmony Birch is not a tree, a guitar, or a female professor living in the UK. She is a student with a journalism concentration minoring in Arts Management and Women's Studies at MCLA, who tries to fully embrace the neurotic, workaholic New England lifestyle. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus MCLA, Harmony is the Managing Editor at The Beacon, and President of Students for a Democratic Society. When she's not writing articles or being an activist , Harmony can be found working on Shakespeare shows with Yorick, idolizing Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or waiting (not so patiently) for her Hogwarts letter.