This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As college students, it is easy to feel overwhelmed trying to balance school, work, and social life. Unfortunately, this ongoing stress can oftentimes lead to burnout. 

According to WebMD, burnout is, “A form of exhaustion caused by constantly feeling swamped.” It often occurs when individuals are immersed in their duties and neglect proper rest. “It’s a result of excessive and prolonged emotional, physical, and mental stress,”  states WebMD. 

According to The New York Times, symptoms of burnout include (but are not limited to) insomnia, fatigue, changes in eating habits, headaches, stomachaches and anxiety.

Although this syndrome can not be medically diagnosed, it is extremely common and is frequently related to stress regarding high demands in the workplace.

Burnout makes it challenging to complete tasks and is often not adequately treated. Luckily, there are several healthy ways to cope with burnout to prevent crashing. 

Continuously practicing self-care can be very effective in battling burnout. “Though self-care looks different for everyone, common strategies include yoga, mindfulness meditation, massage, exercise, dietary changes, or practicing self-compassion,” according to PsychologyToday. These practices allow you to remain grounded in times of stress. Furthermore, staying mindful of your triggers and taking the necessary steps are vital to maintaining mental wellness. 

Another primary tactic to combat burnout is to set boundaries. Don’t allow yourself to become immersed in your work. According to PsychologyToday, “Simply saying no to new tasks is an important (albeit challenging) way to reduce your workload.” It is better to commit to a few critical tasks and do them skillfully than to overcommit and do everything poorly. 

Constant comparison can also lead to burnout. Social media makes it extremely accessible to see others’ accomplishments, fun social lives, etc, which causes people to feel inferior.

It is crucial to remember that social media is a highlight reel and comparing your path to someone else’s can not lead to anything positive. Everyone works at different rates and handles stress in different ways. . 

Burnout is something inevitable that students will most likely experience during their lifetime. Identifying the signs and symptoms is critical and will allow for recovery.

Jennifer Gable is a senior Journalism major with a Law and Society minor at the University of Maryland, College Park. She serves as the Audience Engagement Editor and as a staff writer for HC UMD. She also works as a press photographer for WMUC and as a freelancer for Southern Maryland News. Mental health, social justice issues, and photography are her passions.